EGT Thoughts

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Keep us posted David. These numbers you're playing with are Insane. I get chippy when I have to push mine to the 2850 rpm limit of my IH pump. I can't even FATHOM 4,000+ rpms AND 25+ lbs of boost in a 6.9l IDI. The term 'blow up' is vastly over used, but at that operating parameter, I'd be shakin in my seat anticipating a :bail

And then a nice :flipa from the truck as it said it's last words. Atleast you got a lady who supports your cause, whatever it may be!;Really

I wouldnt be able to stand 2850, that sucks, i havent made my mind up on the engine that i build, im thinking of trying to make a reliable high power output,

Oh yea it was 24 degrees this morning and the batteries wnet dead before the truck cranked:mad:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt be able to stand 2850, that sucks, i havent made my mind up on the engine that i build, im thinking of trying to make a reliable high power output,
Here's what you should build for your next engine...
You must be registered for see images

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Here's what you should build for your next engine...
You must be registered for see images

Nope i hate gas burners, and if you dont like what i do to my engine you dont have to post about it, because they are NOT your engines, just saying:D so if i want to rev mine to 4500 and blow 30psi of boost in it then i will because it is mine, i worked hard to pay for everything i own so i can treat it the way i like

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope i hate gas burners, and if you dont like what i do to my engine you dont have to post about it, because they are NOT your engines, just saying:D so if i want to rev mine to 4500 and blow 30psi of boost in it then i will because it is mine, i worked hard to pay for everything i own so i can treat it the way i like
What bothers me the most is that, after doing all of that, you come on here and act as if the engine's accepting your blatant abuse with no problems whatsoever, trying to imply that everyone on here doesn't know what they're talking about when they try to explain the conventional limits of these engines...and, when you DO have problems, you do everything you can to put the blame elsewhere instead of recognizing the effects of your actions.

Furthermore, as I have said before, the part that REALLY concerns me is that someone who doesn't know about diesels in general and these engines in particular may read your posts and not do any further research, believe that it's perfectly safe to do what you're doing, and end up destroying his engine. Maybe that is not of concern to you, but given that I see this site as primarily a place to help people out, I consider it to be a BIG problem, and that's the single biggest reason why I've been so vocal in my opposition...and IIRC I'm not alone in this, although I think others have given up in trying to speak out. At the same time, I admit that, to me, many of your posts sound like bragging, and I don't consider that a positive attribute. The "Who says idi's cant make high boost?" comment in your signature is an excellent example of that.

You're right that it's your equipment and you can do whatever you want with it; I've never tried to imply otherwise, contrary to your last statement (and that does not prohibit me from expressing my disapproval/attempts to warn others)...with that said, while my earlier post was partially intended as a joke, I admit that it seems to me that you're trying to make your diesel behave as much like a gas engine as possible, so you really might be better off going that route if you "can't stand" anything below 2800 RPM :rolleyes: but if your pockets are deep enough to either keep rebuilding engines or build an engine with the right balancing and stiff enough valve springs to accept that sort of abuse, more power to you.

I apologize in advance to anyone else who had to read this; I almost sent this as a PM but wanted to make sure it was read. I've been trying to bite my tongue for months now, but I can only take so much of this...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok guys....let's play nice now.
I am one who doesn't agree with Dyoung and his engine testing methodology but I have to give him credit for not blaming the shortcomings of the motor when it breaks.
Perhaps a disclaimer prefacing Dyoung's comments on pushing the performance envelope would not be a bad idea :D;Sweet

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno

This started out as more of a let our minds wander kind of thread and it went to a out of context, extreme, not so correct facts thread. But the warden is very correct in his observation. just my 2cents.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:dunno

This started out as more of a let our minds wander kind of thread and it went to a out of context, extreme, not so correct facts thread. But the warden is very correct in his observation. just my 2cents.
Yeah, this really went off-topic...I'm sorry for my part in that, but at the same time, I felt that some things needed to be said. Let's try to get back on topic ;Sweet

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
What bothers me the most is that, after doing all of that, you come on here and act as if the engine's accepting your blatant abuse with no problems whatsoever, trying to imply that everyone on here doesn't know what they're talking about when they try to explain the conventional limits of these engines...and, when you DO have problems, you do everything you can to put the blame elsewhere instead of recognizing the effects of your actions.

Furthermore, as I have said before, the part that REALLY concerns me is that someone who doesn't know about diesels in general and these engines in particular may read your posts and not do any further research, believe that it's perfectly safe to do what you're doing, and end up destroying his engine. Maybe that is not of concern to you, but given that I see this site as primarily a place to help people out, I consider it to be a BIG problem, and that's the single biggest reason why I've been so vocal in my opposition...and IIRC I'm not alone in this, although I think others have given up in trying to speak out. At the same time, I admit that, to me, many of your posts sound like bragging, and I don't consider that a positive attribute. The "Who says idi's cant make high boost?" comment in your signature is an excellent example of that.

You're right that it's your equipment and you can do whatever you want with it; I've never tried to imply otherwise, contrary to your last statement (and that does not prohibit me from expressing my disapproval/attempts to warn others)...with that said, while my earlier post was partially intended as a joke, I admit that it seems to me that you're trying to make your diesel behave as much like a gas engine as possible, so you really might be better off going that route if you "can't stand" anything below 2800 RPM :rolleyes: but if your pockets are deep enough to either keep rebuilding engines or build an engine with the right balancing and stiff enough valve springs to accept that sort of abuse, more power to you.

I apologize in advance to anyone else who had to read this; I almost sent this as a PM but wanted to make sure it was read. I've been trying to bite my tongue for months now, but I can only take so much of this...

i can see where david is coming from, he is helping just as much as you guys are. he IS proving the limits of an IDI while yins are all just talking about the limits, and apparently he does have some plan or he would have fixed the headgasket when the leak was small

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online