EGT theory, correct me if i'm wrong.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If he was at 2600 with his right foot to the floor and not gaining any speed, that could be considered lugging it.
Bingo! we have a winner. give the man a kewpie doll :D
If you cannot accelerate to full RPM at 2/3 throttle regardless of what rpm you are running at, then you are lugging the thing. if you are not gaining ground, then it's time to drop a gear and wind it up and take the load off. This is the reason I like having 15 gears, don't have to drop so far when you have to drop a gear :D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These things can really make some scarey EGT's even with a stock IP. That's why I personally think these IDI should all have pyrometers, stock or modified. It's not something you will see when empty. But, when you work them, they will make some serious heat. That was my experience with my 6.9 before the turbo. After the turbo, EGT's havn't been an issue. The most of the pistons had burning at the crowns, likely because of unknown EGT's for years.

Proper timing will help, but a turbo will make a world of difference, not only in EGT's but also with power.;Sweet:D

Heath

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bingo! we have a winner. give the man a kewpie doll :D
If you cannot accelerate to full RPM at 2/3 throttle regardless of what rpm you are running at, then you are lugging the thing. if you are not gaining ground, then it's time to drop a gear and wind it up and take the load off. This is the reason I like having 15 gears, don't have to drop so far when you have to drop a gear :D

I remember reading this in another thread a while back and its what made me think of the lugging situation, thusly dropping a gear. As far as a turbo goes, I don't see it happening anytime soon, but I am really looking hard at the hypermax pulse kit.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading this in another thread a while back and its what made me think of the lugging situation, thusly dropping a gear. As far as a turbo goes, I don't see it happening anytime soon, but I am really looking hard at the hypermax pulse kit.

Do it!!!

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 NA truck cruises in the 600 to 900 range depending on the load, and incline of the road. But on a long steep hill with the foot feed buried, I can hit 1200 very easily. I usually try to lightly back off if I can, or downshift to drop the temps.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 NA truck cruises in the 600 to 900 range depending on the load, and incline of the road. But on a long steep hill with the foot feed buried, I can hit 1200 very easily. I usually try to lightly back off if I can, or downshift to drop the temps.

This sounds much like what my truck runs, cruising at 55-60 in OD I am at about 5-600deg. Get a good hill and empty I can usually touch 1100 or 1200. I do plan on starting to save up for a turbo kit, I really just have to get past the clutter factor it ads under the hood.

wmoguy

Reaction score

I'm not readily marketing this, but I'll toss it out there. when the compound setup is done and tested for my pickup, I may consider selling other "kits" Final price undetermined, but believe it will be right inline w/ what a new off the shelf kit will run ya.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not readily marketing this, but I'll toss it out there. when the compound setup is done and tested for my pickup, I may consider selling other "kits" Final price undetermined, but believe it will be right inline w/ what a new off the shelf kit will run ya.

Deeding on price and how complete it is. I might just be game for this:D
I'd ditch my single non gated charger for a nice compound anyday:D

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I always hear that adding a turbo lowers egts. So why did mine not budge an inch? My EGTs are the same as when i was n/a with gasser turbo mufflers....Whats going on? Is it my pensacola pump doing something screwy again?
You must be registered for see images attach

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I always hear that adding a turbo lowers egts. So why did mine not budge an inch? My EGTs are the same as when i was n/a with gasser turbo mufflers....Whats going on? Is it my pensacola pump doing something screwy again?
You must be registered for see images attach

Possible pump or injector problems, possible partially blocked exhaust, timing, any number of things.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why most of us veterans have been preaching the need for an EGT gauge on ALL IDI's regardless of NA or turbo. A perfectly calibrated pump, properly timed, with good fuel will put the needle right into the 1200's easily. The slower your RPM's, the more heat you will build. Remember that heat is cumulative. The higher your EGT's, the hotter your oil will get, which will put more heat into your cooling system, which will build more heat overall. The longer this goes on, the more saturated the block will become, and temps can definitely climb if the cooling system can't keep up. Change the timing, the calibration, the fuel, the grade, the load... any of those, and the whole balance can be thrown off. 1300 does not shock me. 1400 would not shock me. For decades people abused these trucks with no clue as to how hot they could be getting.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying I was surprised, not in the least. I know these trucks are very capable of building heat, and under the right circumstances, quickly. Just had a wild hair and got to thinking about it on the long drive home hauling the hay. I will say this though, even with this new pump not timed,bb codes, and a k&n, this truck pulls really well. I have to admit that I am impressed with how it runs considering all the hate you hear against these engines. Cummins eat your heart out, case ih designed that engine anyway.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm not saying I was surprised, not in the least. I know these trucks are very capable of building heat, and under the right circumstances, quickly. Just had a wild hair and got to thinking about it on the long drive home hauling the hay. I will say this though, even with this new pump not timed,bb codes, and a k&n, this truck pulls really well. I have to admit that I am impressed with how it runs considering all the hate you hear against these engines. Cummins eat your heart out, case ih designed that engine anyway.

not to get off subject too much or anything, but I got to thinking about this the other day. The Cummins is the loved engine of that era, and no doubt it's a "haus" and possibly my favored engine. However, specs to specs, the IDI (especially the IDIT) from same era our IDI's really stand nicely against the older rotary pump'd Cummins. I'm speaking stock motor against stock, all bets are off when you start bombin them.

Black dawg

Reaction score
not to get off subject too much or anything, but I got to thinking about this the other day. The Cummins is the loved engine of that era, and no doubt it's a "haus" and possibly my favored engine. However, specs to specs, the IDI (especially the IDIT) from same era our IDI's really stand nicely against the older rotary pump'd Cummins. I'm speaking stock motor against stock, all bets are off when you start bombin them.

I found an old (1989) magazine article a few years ago, was a tow test kinda deal, ford vs dodge. In the article the ford outpulled the dodge in every way they could think of. It made me laugh, cause I remember 89 and all those dodges passing EVERYBODY on the hills.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother had a 92 cummins 5speed bone stock 2wd dually. He drove my truck a couple times and he said time and.time again, he didnt find his any more powerful or quicker. He actually commented on how well the old Ford started, ran, and drove for the miles on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent