Easy Vgt Setup

FordGuy100

Reaction score
One problem. If we have to run an adapter on the inlet flange, that would shift the turbo up away from the mounting pedestal. You would have to engineer a new one...along with an oil drain line.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could meter the exit of the return to static position with a simple metering valve and control the speed of the spring return. Pretty common practice actually, lets you run a very powerful/positive return spring but control/adjust the return speed.

That kind of the same idea I had about turning a boost regulator around to slow the flow out of the wastegate setup? Something kind of like that or something else to control the spring return?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One problem. If we have to run an adapter on the inlet flange, that would shift the turbo up away from the mounting pedestal. You would have to engineer a new one...along with an oil drain line.

That is true. Could you make a spacer for the pedestal? I would think the would be pretty easy. And then you would have to definitely have to extend the oil return line for sure.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is true. Could you make a spacer for the pedestal? I would think the would be pretty easy. And then you would have to definitely have to extend the oil return line for sure.

Oil return lines are easily made/modified: go for it ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The 093 pedestal is also the oil return. So mooting I higher would also mean doing something about the oil return.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the easiest way to run a turbo like this is to remote mount it under the cab. This gives you more space for the larger VGT and also more room for custom up pipes and the like. If someone could make it work im sure it would give these trucks a huge boost in power across the board.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the easiest way to run a turbo like this is to remote mount it under the cab. This gives you more space for the larger VGT and also more room for custom up pipes and the like. If someone could make it work im sure it would give these trucks a huge boost in power across the board.

That would be pretty easy too but I still think that with the t3 adapter and an air cylinder to control it, it wouldn't be too hard even in the engine bay.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of along the same lines of the topic but a lil different. A quick spool valve that makes a turbo almost act like a vgt. Here is an example of one and BD also makes one. Also, here is a thread that talks about their performance.

http://www.southerndieselx.com/prod..._id=3&osCsid=18167od93ls23bpljqoq0fnnnhufnc8i

Also, ATS makes a multistage turbo and here is another multistage(variable) turbo also.

http://www.blaylock-turbo.com/

Sounds like the turbo keeps opening and closing. Definitely needs tuned better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYvbU5btG3w