Easy Fuel Additive system

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have a wide flatbed on my IDI in my sig and it is a pain in the rear to add fuel additive from the jug into the tank when im filling up. I was wondering what people did about this. Trying to work up a method to eliminate spilling.

What I have been looking at us splicing a barbed "T" fitting into the vacuum vent hose. Run a line from that fitting to some kind of holder tucked up underneath the bed. The holding tank would have a shutoff valve on it's output line and be filled with fuel additive. The idea is that, when I want to add some anti gel or other additives, I just reach under the lip of the bed, turn the valve lever and let it flow for some amount of time that I would have to calculate.

So, the fittings and lines are easy enough but im trying to come up with a container to hold the fluid. Ideally, I would just use the bottle that the stuff comes in (I usually use power service additive + Anti-gel formula) but im not sure about hooking the valve up to it.

ISPKI

Reaction score
What ive been looking at is fabricating a custom miniature fuel cell, maybe 1/2 gallon as that is what the jugs come in I think. I have some sheets of 304L that I could use. It could be removable with a fill cap, a vent valve and a pair of threaded outlets, one for each fuel tank. It would need to have some kind of window so I could see how much additive was left in the tank.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds just like a washer fluid tank or a coolant overflow tank to me.
I guess the concern is getting it high enough. Maybe you can find a flat/wide one at the junkyard.
Or buy something like this. And it already has the removable bracket. You'd probably just have to work a hose onto the included spout and then rig up your on/off valve from there.
Heck. You've even got me thinking about doing this just so I don't have to keep buying those little bottles that fit in the filler neck.

Last edited:

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry a small translucent bottle approximately one and half inches in diameter and maybe 6" tall. It's graduated in ounces. The translucent bottle allows accurately measuring the dose and the small size makes it easy to dump right in the filler neck.
Adding another small tank for this will be adding yet another access point for contamination in your fuel tank. Especially when it's located under the bed where it's exposed to everything the tire kick up.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a whole lot of doing for what could be solved with a good funnel. That being said, how about mounting an additive tank in a tool box under the bed, and using an outboard primer bulb. You could tie it in to the vent directly, and you wouldn’t need any valves. Being mounted lower than the filler, would mean you wouldn’t have to worry about it siphoning into the fuel tank. You could simply open a tool box door, squeeze the primer bulb 3 or 4 times, and start fueling. Another idea for a tank is an oil tank for an automatic oiling system for a 2 stroke outboard or jet ski.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I use an extra tall (42.5oz) Maxwell House plastic coffee can with lid to store a small funnel and tiny measuring cup that only holds a few ounces max. The coffee can is rugged and lasts forever, it keeps things tidy (put a paper towel in the bottom to absorb residue) and it stores very well in my RV next to/behind the driver's seat and I always have it right there, in the same place where I also store my additives. It also keeps the funnel and measuring cup clean.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up using 1/2L Dr. Pepper bottles for my additive. The bottles around here have a conical/funnel shaped top half that fits like it was made for it. I put in 8-10 oz. of anti-gel and the rest 2-stroke oil, then use one bottle per tank when I fill up.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's filling, or buying, those little additive bottles that's a pain that might could be avoided with the OP's idea of having a bulk tank.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
This doesn't really answer the question, but I like to use the old containers for DEF that have the funnel on them and they work great.

Rock

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This doesn't really answer the question, but I like to use the old containers for DEF that have the funnel on them and they work great.

Rock
Do you rinse them, or do something to make sure the DEF is all gone/neutralized? That is some really harsh stuff….

ISPKI

Reaction score
These are all great ideas, especially the coffee can, definitely going to look into that.

Yeah the issue I have is that I already carry around alot of equipment in this truck (hence the roof mounted toolbox which is completely full) and I just dont have room for these little containers and bottles and funnels and what not. I ran out of space in the roof box with my logging gear so my tool kits and fluid jugs have been sitting in the cab with me which constantly want to tip over during one of my usual commutes.

So I understand the concerns of contamination and leaks but I think those can be solved and the underbody mounted toolbox is probably going to take care of that issue along with good quality fittings. I like the idea of quick connects but would be worried about environmental exposure but a NiCopp line should stand up to alot of abuse. I could plumb a hardline from the vent line on the filler neck to a compression fitting on the side of a tool box, then have a matching fitting on the inside of the box and hook the auxiliary tank up to that. Or just use a braided stainless steel line from vent line to toolbox.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the old Russia vs US story about pens in space. Seems NASA spent millions developing a pen that could write in outer space. Whereas the Russians just used a pencil.

If I had your problem, I'd just stuff a cheap funnel in a gallon size ziplock bag, (to keep it clean), and use that.

I bought a couple that are clear-ish, and an even better shape and size for the job than this one is, for about 90 cents apiece in the household department.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Yeah the auto parts guys that I go to said the same thing. They actually have a funnel that screws onto the bottle to make sure it doesnt drip. costs about 1.75$ but then I still have to carry around the jug and the funnel.

Still havent had any luck finding an underbed toolbox. I do have one but its huge and wont fit the space I want to put it in so I am thinking about cutting it down and welding it back together. If it was about half it's height it would be perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin