Early 6.9 low compression? continued...

vaughnp

Reaction score
Thanks Black Dawg and Macrobb.

Yep its a manual. Pull starting it will be tough in the city, but might be able to make that happen.

The gauge seemed to be working ok, but I will verify. I did crank it for 5-8 pulses, it usually peaked after 3-4 and seemed to hold the number.

I put teflon tape on the threads of the adapter when I screwed it into the glow plug hole of the #1 cylinder after the 2 rounds of testing, just to make sure sealing wasn't the issue. But it didn't change the number, so I didn't try that on the rest.

vaughnp

Reaction score
From what I've read on oilburners it sounds like usually the cylinders stay true and a re-ring does the trick.

I'm sure that will vary though.

My plan was to take the injection pump into a local diesel shop and have it tested, then decide on next course of action. The injectors will need to be replaced as well.

But I may just wait if I'm going to end up pulling the motor...guess it would need the same parts either way though...

Chad241993

Reaction score
If your compression number are that low it most likely wont start, I did mine recently and all 8 were between 395 and 420 PSI on a cold test (90 Degree Day) with the same Harbor Freight gauge set. Typically you need 250 PSI Min. to get it to fire.
New starter and two 1000 Amp batteries wouldn't hurt though.
If you had good compression the starting fluid would it least sputter without any additional diesel.

vaughnp

Reaction score
Have the new starter and two new 1000 Amp batteries installed, did that first thing.

Its starting to sound like a rebuild would be in order. Will have to see if I can make that happen.

Its probably worth it as the cab and front clip is near rust free, it lived in Utah most of its life. The bed was swapped at some point and shows some Minnesota rust, but not that bad either.

vaughnp

Reaction score
They're actually in good shape. I cleaned them up on the ends when installing the new batteries.

It turns over at a good clip now, just still not getting any fuel out of the lines at the injectors.

Wish I knew more about the motor. With the Turbo Engineering drivers side exhaust manifold I wonder if it was turbo'd at some point and its just flat wore out...