E4OD Suckage

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well headed out at 3:00 am this morning headed to pennsylvania for a couple weeks of work and made it about 150 miles from home when my trans **** the bed. This was a Ford Factory rebuild I put in 50000 miles ago that crapped out. So now my truck is in south bend, in. getting the trans rebuilt while I am in pa. working. Just really pissed at Ford and had to vent somewhere.:puke:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ford generally has a good warranty but I don't recall the miles it was nor the years of service. Hope it works out in your favor too. Its tuff working out of town and being broke down sucks too...

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
e4ods suck and seem like they always take a **** at the worst times i had 2 **** the bed with in a month of each other. what part of pa are you in?

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would talk to Ford, I thought they had extended the warranty on the trannies in recent years (depending on when you installed it).

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Sucks man. All a guy can do is try to support the trans with maybe the TC lockup mod, a shift kit, and some aftermarket coolers and then keep your fingers crossed. I'm sure there is a lot more a guy can do, but it probably involves a lot of money...

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently the Ford reman trans warranty is 3yr\100K. been that way for 3-4 years I think......

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well thats not good.what were your symptoms?
trans temp was ok? did you replace the converter last time too?
was the od light flashing during any time you were driving it?

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well thats not good.what were your symptoms?
trans temp was ok? did you replace the converter last time too?
was the od light flashing during any time you were driving it?

The torque converter was new, the od light was not flashing, the temp climbed up to 250 degrees within ten miles and then puked trans fluid out the vent on top and out the front. It is at valley transmission in south bend, IN. He is putting in the billet torque converter, shift kit and better clutches. Does that sound like a good rebuild. take out, rebuild, install and 1 year warranty for $2000.00. The guy was pretty cool he picked up my trailer stored it inside for me had my truck flatbedded and was the only one in the area that could get it done in a couple days.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems Ford has the same problem as Chrysler; A good strong truck engine but no auto overdrive tranny that will last behind it. I never have heard or know what GM put behind their 6.5's. Did they have the same problem also? Did they use the 700r4 behind their diesels?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The torque converter was new, the od light was not flashing, the temp climbed up to 250 degrees within ten miles and then puked trans fluid out the vent on top and out the front. It is at valley transmission in south bend, IN. He is putting in the billet torque converter, shift kit and better clutches. Does that sound like a good rebuild. take out, rebuild, install and 1 year warranty for $2000.00. The guy was pretty cool he picked up my trailer stored it inside for me had my truck flatbedded and was the only one in the area that could get it done in a couple days.

whenever you see temps spike like that,you want to stop doing what your doing.preferably drive with no load,but pulling over and putting her in park for a few mins will do the trick.
if temps still climb,then shut it right down.unhook a trans cooler line and start the truck.see if she's pumping fluid still.if not then your plugged up somewhere or your pump failed.
had you shut her right down,you could have towed her home,fixed the front pump for around 100$ bucks and been back in action.

it's just like any other gauge.if your oil pressure drops what do you do? shut her off asap and let her roll to the side of the road.
if your EGT gauge reads high,you back off the skinny or drop a gear.
if you listen to your gauges asap,you can save loads of $.;Sweet

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems Ford has the same problem as Chrysler; A good strong truck engine but no auto overdrive tranny that will last behind it. I never have heard or know what GM put behind their 6.5's. Did they have the same problem also? Did they use the 700r4 behind their diesels?

Yup, and the 4l80e, both of which are no exception to trouble.