E4OD Stuck on engine? Can't remove

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
I finally got time and unbolted everything from the e4od and the engine. Crossmemeber, wires, 4X4 etc etc. the only thing that isn't undid is the torque converter bolts. Can't I still remove the trans with the torque converter bolted in? If not, does anyone know the socket size for the crank so i don't buy a random assortment of sockets at Lowe's. I only have sockets up to 19mm or 7/8.

Right now the trans is hanging about 1 inch off the engine, with nothing supporting it that I know of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been kicking it since 4!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Is your engine seized up? I've never used a socket on the crank to rotate an engine. (Even a diesel). I just use a big flat head screw driver to move the flywheel one or two teeth at a time. Just my own personal way of doing it.

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can remove the engine with the TC still bolted to flywheel I just did it a couple months ago. My engine was seized and I couldn't rotate it to unbolt TC. Just make sure the oil filter is off, thats what held me up for a few minutes.

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Engine isn't seized up. I just always used the crankbolt to rotate the engine. I will try the handy screwdriver method tomorrow.

Thank you.

I will update once I get it off and/or blow it up

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Alright Im stumped. The oil filter for the engine is behind the flywheel so I don't see that being a problem.

Its a good 2 to 3 inches off the engine but still wont drop. It is turned to the left (rotated) a good 4 inches as well.

Any ideas besides introducing it to the sawzall?!?:sly

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
are all the lines out of the way?

That will need to come back quite a piece to drop to the point where you can pull it. The shaft will be inside the TC housing a fair amount, and I bet that is what is holding you up. It may need to come back about 8 inches to clear.

I'd just unbolt the converter and let the whole 9 yards go.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had pulled the TC fasteners you would be done right now. I can't remember if the e4od has another shaft in the turbine shaft for the lock up TC or not but you got the turbine and stator shafts that spline to the TC as well as the pump. How your going about this isn't good for any of these parts. Just try to get the trans in a straight line with the crank and it'll come off of there eventually.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
There is another shaft for the lock up.

Push that trans back tight ot teh engine (or at least support it!!) and undo the TC bolts, then that puppy will litterally fall right out.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Always unbolt the converter from the flexplate. :eek:

Problem is the tranny is stuck on the converter hub. At this point the pump and or converter hub is trashed. Give it a good yank, it will come apart.;Really