Dually axle for SRW?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg5OH, the pickup DRW axle is 4" wider PER SIDE, for total track width increase of 8" or so. However you MUST make sure the DRW axle is coming from a pickup truck, as opposed to cab-chassis. Yes both DRW and SRW hubs can accept both DRW or SRW wheels. Yes 4.10 DRW axles did come with LSDs, but it was an option, not standard equipment - look for code "D5" in the "axle" box on the door jamb label/sticker, that is the 4.10 LSD 7400lbs DRW axle you are looking for. Yes you can grab a LSD from another Sterling axle (door jamb axle code B5, B9, C5, C9, D5, D9, or F5) and drop it in yours, most of the time it's pretty simple but as any axle work has the potential of turning into a full-blown "*** was I thinking" type disaster.

Leeland, the DRW Sterling most definitely exists, if anything I'm yet to see a D70 pickup DRW that is not '86 or older. Everything you know about the SRW Sterling applies to the pickup DRW one as well, only difference is the pickup DRW uses thicker housing tubes, wider brakes, and overall hub-to-hub WMS distance is also wider.

FORDF250HDXLT, there is a full strategy to shopping for axles, it's not as simple as picking up the phone and having the axle waiting when you get there - if you can "waste" (from the spousal unit's point of view) a weekend on it and also have some favors to collect on then it can be hugely beneficial from financial stand point. OMG $750 ***, my hell on heels paid almost as much for a 4x4 front MDT axle with juice discs AND 10-luggers, no way I'd drop that on an unknown condition light duty pickup axle, unless of course I'm in a hurry for whatever reason and needed said axle like yesterday LOL

Riot, check the warranty on that lunchbox locker - most seem to limit tire size to 32" or so, considering factory 235/85-16 tires are 31" tall already I'd be very hesitant to put one in an axle that will run large tires and/or get loaded near its GAWR on regular basis.

And to everyone suggesting simply using wheels with more offset on the existing SRW axle, that would make sense if the OP was keeping his current gear ration, which he already said twice that he'd like to change from 3.55 to 4.10. In such a situation one should first check how much it would run to have a shop swap gears in their existing housing (the full cost, gears + diff + bearings and shims + labor, and don't forget to factor in downtime), then check how much an entire axle will cost (add new U-bolts, hub seals, and brake lines too), and compare the two. Then before pulling a junkyard axle one should take care to inspect said axle for play in any and all bearings, wear on the gears, color and consistency of oil, and so on. Considering the brute strength of Sterling axles, the fact that pickup DRW axles that fit our trucks only came in 2wd trucks, the general observation that trucks with pickup boxes rarely get subjected to as much abuse as flatbeds, and the general practice that a complete axle can be obtained and swapped in a lazy weekend, it may just make more sense to grab a good-condition junkyard pickup DRW axle that already has the desired gears and differential. As always, YMMV.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapping out the whole diff. is the easiest route, at least that's what I decided to do after doing all the research. A local shop quoted me 3 to 4 hours to do the entire 10.25 diff. R&R. Probably took me about 20 hours as I had a few unexpected issues come up like a broken yoke and an old dude working by myself. The 10.25 4.10 TracLoc's seem to be easy to find, I know I have an extra one now. I think Kenny down in Oregon has his name on my take off unit if we ever get together on stuff.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jonathan, a lunchbox locker is installed inside an open differential carrier after removing the four small gears in it. It's about half the cost of a dedicated locking differential assembly and can be installed in a matter of minutes without the need to reset gear mesh pattern, but because of its compact design there is only so much load it can handle before damage occurs. Manufacturer ratings are usually rather conservative, how much abuse it can take in real life is probably different and a whole lot more, but if one values the warranty they should probably pay more attention to the official specs than internet rumors. An example of a lunchbox locker would be Spartan Locker, at least that's the first one I can think of right now.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lcam tha ks for that novel!

Yes and to all saying just run a different offset wheel-no. I want to be able to rotate my wheels without having to remount the tires. Just a sinple switcheroony

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo get spacers for the rear and get a set of 4.10 gears to swap in.

I'd rather rebuild my axle and add 4.10s than grab an old axle w/ 4.10s and hope it didn't fail.

I can also tell you on my chevy's I bought a dually parts truck that had srw on the rear and fenders removed w/ baler belt fender flare extensions because the rear was so wide.

Source Unknown

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
io would need an LSD unit plus 4.10s PLUS spacers for my rear end in that case. and 2" spacers per side on the rear, dont know if that will get my even in line with the front. there frikken SUNK..looks gross.
Also, my dream is to completely eliminate the wheel humps in the bed!

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I may be looking into doing a dually conversion to my '94 SRW at some point if I find it necessary. Looks like I would be best off to find a complete DRW rear axle and for the front I would need just the dually spacers, correct? Or, a complete DRW front axle to match. If I understand correctly the only difference on the D60 fronts is the addition of the spacer to compensate for the offset dually wheels.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, a lot of info in here, but not a lot is correct. and to the OP, i believe i know what you are trying to do, cause on my F350 i lifted it and put 37/12.50r16s on it with 16x10 rims, with cutout fender flares, and from the rear it looked horrible, the tires didnt need cutouts for the rear. i sourced a pickup drw rear axle and it made it look correct, the outside of the rear tires matched with the outside of the fender flares, and the pickup drw rear axle is 6" wider then the srw, not 8".

on any truck the rear tires are always going to tuck in more then the front due to being overloaded the bed wont hit the tires, also the fenderwell is higher for the front tires then the rear tires, so if the front is sagging the tire doesnt rub the body in a turn, but since the rear tires dont turn the fenderwell is lower on the rear. putting a pickup dually axle on the rear will give you the look you want, but make sure you dont overload it or the tires can hit the body, recommend air bags if/when towing.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WarWagon, the front dually wheel hubs are specific to DRW trucks at least as far as kingpin D60 axles go, they can swap onto a SRW D60 however you can also just bolt the aftermarket spacers on top of your SRW hubs and achieve the same effect. In fact that's what Dodge has been doing from the factory for many years, they call it a hub extender but it's essentially a spacer. This is not the situation where the wheel's load plane gets pushed towards one hub bearing or the other as is the case when spacers are used on the rear axle, up front the spacer simply makes up for the extra offset built into the dually wheel. So yes, spacers will work for the front no problem, just make sure they are correct for a Ford truck (and not for a Dodge or Chevy).

Mudkickr, so 6" it is then, thanks for the correction! Tho I did say I'm giving approximate numbers based on what I can measure without pulling wheels off (altho slinging them 100-lbs things around would make for a good workout), so don't hold that against me pls!

For the record, I've seen all SRW vs DRW vs C&C measurements posted at least once on Pirate, takes a bit of digging of course but they are widely available and easily enough accessible. Do your homework people, especially if there is lots of money riding on it.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dually axles don't sell for much here. I sell the 3.55 geared 10.25 for 250 apiece and the 4.10s for 175 lol

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both rear axles in my driveway. So I measured...
72.5" DRW Sterling 1995
65.25" SRW Sterling 1994
both are from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.

7.25" wider, so this comes out to 3 5/8 per side.

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a zf5 and dually swap on a 97 PSD and measure twice I messed up at the junk yard .if any one needs one in pa New ringlold easy pa is awsome and cheap

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here are pics of the dually front adapters for the D60 one is OEM and the other is aftermarket.
the pic on the left is oem
the pic on the right is aftermarket

Attachments

• SL373141.JPG
    SL373141.JPG
    864.9 KB · Views: 5
  • SL373137.JPG
    SL373137.JPG
    863 KB · Views: 5