DT466 Project...1st step

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you will twist the frame like a pretzel.

:rotflmaoLOLLOL:rotflmao

There are guys running 5.9 Cummins with more HP and Torque than I'm planning on having with this DT and I can't imagine some simple gussetting of the stocker wouldn't be all that is needed.

Heath

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
:rotflmaoLOLLOL:rotflmao

There are guys running 5.9 Cummins with more HP and Torque than I'm planning on having with this DT and I can't imagine some simple gussetting of the stocker wouldn't be all that is needed.

Heath

I twist the living hell out of a stock pick up frame w a 300hp gas engine while truck pulling. I'm sure a 400+hp and 1500+ft/lbs of torque should just destroy a pick up frame, even on the street:dunno

EricW

my $h!t is stuff
Reaction score
I twist the living hell out of a stock pick up frame w a 300hp gas engine while truck pulling. I'm sure a 400+hp and 1500+ft/lbs of torque should just destroy a pick up frame, even on the street:dunno

Is that a stock C channel frame or is it boxed?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say go for, I would love to do it to my old truck and even considered it for a while. But after thinking about it some, I decided I would like to be able to pull mine in some of the local pulls around here, and the rules state it has to be an engine that was available in a ton truck or less. Looks like if I do anymore swapping it will be for a cummins.

Oh and as far as the frames go , there is a guy around here that has a late 70's Ford CC 4x4 with a cummins that I have heard rummors to have 600+hp, I have seen the truck and the frame is boxed and braced pretty heavy and it is holding up, and he is racing everything on the road. The only thing that would worry me with that much bracing, is if you did any off-roading or even just rough terrain there would be no flex, and it would possibly lead to cracking, I dunno though.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Is that a stock C channel frame or is it boxed?

Was a stock frame but now it is trussed and gusseted. But this is strictly a pulling truck. O did i mention, now it rides like it has NO suspension since the frame has no more flex to it. You have to remember, Ford engineres its suspension to work w its flexy frames. No flexy frame= poor ride

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i saw a 70's dodge pulling truck...440-360, not sure?? it got halfway down the track and started hopping, the driver didn't let up a bit, after he unhooked the bottom of the cab and box had about a 6" gap and the top were touching.... :rotflmao:rotflmao ;Sweet niceeeeeeee.
i'm sure ford builds a better frame then dodge ever could. ;Really

-Jon

EricW

my $h!t is stuff
Reaction score
Was a stock frame but now it is trussed and gusseted. But this is strictly a pulling truck. O did i mention, now it rides like it has NO suspension since the frame has no more flex to it. You have to remember, Ford engineres its suspension to work w its flexy frames. No flexy frame= poor ride

Wouldn't have to be fully boxed, and extra cross members would help as well...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Not boxed. Trussed. Wish i had some photos. Used 1 1/2" 3/16 square tubing and trussed the inside of the frame from the engine crossmember to the rear spring hanger

EricW

my $h!t is stuff
Reaction score
Not boxed. Trussed. Wish i had some photos. Used 1 1/2" 3/16 square tubing and trussed the inside of the frame from the engine crossmember to the rear spring hanger

I actually thought about this a little more today, and wouldn't strengthening the weak points in the frame be a viable way to solve the twisting issues?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions. Don't expect this to be done anytime soon. I'm planning for this to be a long-term project. I really want to have all my ducks in a row before starting. Meaning, having all the parts needed and ready, then start fabbing and modding.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a reply from Dynatrac about the Dana 80. It seems than the Dana 80 axles can easily be built to handle the torque I'm planning on making. That's good news as that will open up a range of gearing options as opposed to a single gear for the Rockwells. Plus, parts will be easier to find, and they can be easier to find at boneyards.

Heath

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijack but...

Is there a reason the Rockwells only have one ratio? is it becasue they were designed specifically for the Deuce or is it because there isnt much demand for them?

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijack but...

Is there a reason the Rockwells only have one ratio? is it becasue they were designed specifically for the Deuce or is it because there isnt much demand for them?
both, but there is someone who makes new gear sets for rockwell 2.5 tons oversons engineering in i think michigan http://www.oemaxle.com/

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They make new gear sets, but they are still 6.73's (Which for me, is crazy low). They say they are going to be coming out with different ratio's in the future, but they don't list what they will be. Probally, not much higher I'd bet.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matjonbak

Staff online