double OD and other nonsense......

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My goal is to stay off or below the radar as much as possible. It's going to be pretty obvious with a GN trailer for starters. F450 axles invite a closer look and I want the "4wd" capability. F450's generally don't offer that unless you want a very expensive custom build. I have TX plates on my '92. my official residence is in TX. I've pulled a Uhaul trailer in kali and never gotten a second look from a DOT. Everybody thinks you're moving in/out of the state so that's no biggie with a Uhaul. With a privately owned GN, that will be a whole new can of worms. Lastly, I intend to look like I am running under the 40 ft OAL rule. that is why the SC rather than a CC. Ford at that time never made a F350 dually 4x4 SC. But that is a little known fact unless you are a resident ford nut.

Yeiks, you have a 40 ft overall length limit??? I'd be boned with anything I haul out there :eek: I'm 48 ft with my 5er and 49 ft with my gooseneck carhauler.
As far as rebadging the 450, ever thought of getting some fancy simulators with the extended nut covers that stick out a bit over teh actual hardware so you could slip a set that look like 8 lug simulators all around?
Either that or tell CA to take a flying leap, if you have residency in TX, register your business in TX and register the vehicles there, then all you have to to is keep track of mileage and report fuel tax to CA as a commercial vehicle from out of state doing business on federal highways.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
finally got some time to string up a rudimentary electrical to engage the OD solenoid. haven't changed the oil in it yet. the engagement and disengagement is a little rough as a result but it sure does it firmly! with 4.10 gearsets on the front and rear, my OD speed /rpms is as observed......
65mph/2400 rpm
75mph/2600 rpm.
85mph/2800 rpm
with double OD engaged.......
65mph/1800 rpm.
75mph/2100 rpm.
85mph/2300 rpm.
do bear in mind the speedo and tach is not the most accurate around, but isn't way off either.
my gross at the time of testing is 7900lbs.
everything was ran at sea level on relatively flat terrain.
overall, imho there was enough power for the motor to accelerate on flat ground and this is w/o turbo.
definitely needed is cruise control in order to keep the speed from creeping up to the point I get into trouble.
worth it? hell yeah!

Very nice Calvin;Sweet I can't wait to be in a position to afford one of these. Used ones are pretty rare on this side of the country.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeiks, you have a 40 ft overall length limit??? I'd be boned with anything I haul out there :eek: I'm 48 ft with my 5er and 49 ft with my gooseneck carhauler.
As far as rebadging the 450, ever thought of getting some fancy simulators with the extended nut covers that stick out a bit over teh actual hardware so you could slip a set that look like 8 lug simulators all around?
Either that or tell CA to take a flying leap, if you have residency in TX, register your business in TX and register the vehicles there, then all you have to to is keep track of mileage and report fuel tax to CA as a commercial vehicle from out of state doing business on federal highways.
I suspect CHP doesn't give tow contracts to out of state businesses.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
out- state plated COMMERCIAL vehicles are allowed to enter kali to do commerce. no state can bar another state's vehicles from entering the state. what kali can control is the length of time the vehicle can do business in the state. starting jan 1, 2015 if you don't have a kali cert on your commercial vehicle, you can stay in the state for no more than 72 hours.
currently, there are no restrictions for the out of state vehicles registered as RV's and in private use. kali is smart enough not tu **** with the bluehairs for the time being.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Now how did I know you would think of something like that? :eek::rotflmao I guess I'll just have to make sure I see you first! :shoot: :DLOL

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice Calvin;Sweet I can't wait to be in a position to afford one of these. Used ones are pretty rare on this side of the country.

the nasty long distances of travel out here make it easy to justfy the cost of these OD units.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This project certainly should improve your fuel mileage and drivability of the rig. When the US gear unit on my Crew cab craps out, I'm going looking for a Brown Lipe auxillary trans to fill the void. I can still underdrive the trans (which I love hauling the camper) and can overdrive the sucker when rolling empty on the highway.

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
out- state plated COMMERCIAL vehicles are allowed to enter kali to do commerce. no state can bar another state's vehicles from entering the state. what kali can control is the length of time the vehicle can do business in the state. starting jan 1, 2015 if you don't have a kali cert on your commercial vehicle, you can stay in the state for no more than 72 hours.
currently, there are no restrictions for the out of state vehicles registered as RV's and in private use. kali is smart enough not tu **** with the bluehairs for the time being.

Well, that sucks. MOst of the fleet vehicles in this state are base registered in OK or TX , but the state couldn't care less just as long as they get their fuel tax money. WE have such low registration fees anyway that it's hardly worth the bother , it just turns out the others are even cheaper

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
the nasty long distances of travel out here make it easy to justfy the cost of these OD units.

I have just the opposite in Jersey. It seems like I'm stopping every half mile,:rolleyes: a 2-3 mile stretch of 50mph is about the best there is around town, and this is in the rural areas. We just got too many people in too little a space.

At the rally, I got almost 2 mpg better driving around town because the distances between stops were that much greater in Michigan. Keep in mind that figure included the dyno run as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7