double OD and other nonsense......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
felt well enough to supervise my latest project. Replacing a ZF where a T19 used to be and adding a GV. previously, the D50 was removed and a D60 changeover installed. here are the pics. The big stuff is installed, but there is still much work to be done. Drive lines angles still need to be pitched, GV wiring needs to be installed and the transfer case shifter needs to be installed to. post any questions here!
You must be registered for see images attach

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where'd ya find the parts? Id love to find a 60 & zf5 to swap. Or even mod a zf6 in haha

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy and dismantle more trucks than you can imagine. the transfer case,GV unit, and driveline was bought in a wrecked truck back in 2006. the D60 and ZF5 came in another truck with a seized motor about two years ago.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

And what's with the exhaust? Looks like a stock Y pipe, and a down pipe for a turbo.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the "thing" hanging down is a vibration dampener doohicky. i figure the cheapasses at Ford's accounting dept allowed that item to be installed, it can't be all bad. I have a tendency to attempt lightspeed when driving, so any driveline vibration is not wanted/desired, therefore I minus well leave it on in the meantime.
I pulled the turbo in order to make the trans swap a little easier. it's going back in once the bugs under the truck are ironed out

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
the "thing" hanging down is a vibration dampener doohicky. i figure the cheapasses at Ford's accounting dept allowed that item to be installed, it can't be all bad. I have a tendency to attempt lightspeed when driving, so any driveline vibration is not wanted/desired, therefore I minus well leave it on in the meantime.
I pulled the turbo in order to make the trans swap a little easier. it's going back in once the bugs under the truck are ironed out

They still have those things in the newer trucks also. My Excursion has the same mount hanging down on my transmission/transfer case. It is low enough you can see it below the running boards....... Bean counters at their engineering best!!!!

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They still have those things in the newer trucks also. My Excursion has the same mount hanging down on my transmission/transfer case. It is low enough you can see it below the running boards....... Bean counters at their engineering best!!!!
This has nothing to do with the bean counters - now if it got removed as part of a cost-cutting measure, THAT you could blame on them!

I'm an electrical and not a mechanical engineer, but there are similar fixes used in electronic circuits all the time. You don't want resonance at a certain frequency, so you can add dampeners to change the resonant frequency.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the 85 in your sig I assume?

What are you using the truck for?

it isn't the '85. it's the '87 aka the "Sulaco"(aliens 2 movie). the '85 is currently under contract for sale.
the purpose of this truck is for salvage/recovery and to haul a gooseneck trailer large enough to haul a CC dually without getting DOT attention. with the new smog laws, F450's are an endangered species, so I need to reconfigure my towing fleet.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the bean counters - now if it got removed as part of a cost-cutting measure, THAT you could blame on them!

I'm an electrical and not a mechanical engineer, but there are similar fixes used in electronic circuits all the time. You don't want resonance at a certain frequency, so you can add dampeners to change the resonant frequency.
whatever an engineer designs onto a car must be justified or it isn't done, unlike the rest of the world. so if it's there, someone won a battle to make sure it is produced and installed.