double OD and other nonsense......

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
follow this link. It's the most up to date on what's going on in the state.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/truckstop.htm

so if i am reading it right, it is because they are considered medium duty fleet vehicles in your case. thus they are subject to expensive new conversions to make them legal. i remember reading about these new regs awhile ago, but then it was put on hold. i hadn't realized it was back on. stupid cali. they are going broke and just keep passing new regulations that drive businesses our of state.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
It's not just conversions they are after... They state that "Starting January 1, 2015, lighter trucks with engines that are 20 years or older would need to be replaced with newer trucks."

Welcome to the end, my friend. The mid GVW phase out is just a start. I really do think that forced retirement for all older vehicles is on the horizon out here in the green west. Just look at how wildly successful the "cash 4 clunkers" thing worked out for the big three. It's no secret that CA has, by far, the largest amount of personal vehicles on the road.

You think that large of a cash cow can be ignored for long??

Sorry for the rant.... :yell:

Towcat, the double OD is nice too... LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
California trucks will be cheap at that point. You rust belt guys ought to go out there and rescue them.

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
California trucks will be cheap at that point. You rust belt guys ought to go out there and rescue them.

we will.

running the 410 gears is a bummer for me unladen. i really would prefer a 32 - 33 in tire and second od behind my 4l80 for street running at legalish freeway speeds at 18-2100 rpm and hopefully decent economy. cause the 410 gear my 60's came with is good middle ground for my off road tire use, and double od would allow me to do that. the costs of regearing to a 350 ratio stock type gearset verse running the military take offs left me rolling on wobbly lumpy takeoffs. the 37's are great above 65 mph but suck at 60 or less. i am about ready for a 3rd set and so far just been living with them feeling like bias plies that never warm up at lower speeds. they are scary on pavement in the snow and suck in the wet, but i can cruise 75-80 no problem now...of course mpg sux compared to 50 mph with a 33 in tire. with beads in them they do work acceptably, just not the same as a nice 33 in cooper or something similar though.

i assume parts for your particular unit are readily available, or you would not be allowing the downtime and cost investment to happen? i ran into a similar unit that was behind a 208 in a 85 or 86 truck....i was a bit excited as i have a 208 in the ranger and it would have been a cake deal to install, till i turned it and then pulled it apart...i stashed it in the yard and tried calling around to get parts but they said all i could do was send it in due to its particular vintage, and likely 15-1800 to rebuild it if they could. so i let that idea go.

pretty much thinking i will go to a taller gear, was hoping 3.23ish but 3.50 ish seems the limit on a hp d60, figure those gears and a double underdrive for off road and the bigger tires. i dont have the real estate in a ranger for a over under type brownie thing with a 4l80 that the big trucks have, but i like to trail ride so my footprint is about as big as i can allow as it is. i imagine you only goal is to split gears to get rolling and haul ass when dead heading and not maximum economy. killer setup regardless, and sorry to hear about the fleet woes and impending laws...though i would simply register the fleet in texas or south dakota or something personally..

and the need to even think about this doom of the 450 is bringing out my soapbox...

climbs on soap box...

better idea is to get rid of the assclowns making these rules. there are not that many people, even in cali that are that stupid about the reality of the emissions situation given the information available..... those truck killing clowns are heavily outnumbered, and just a matter of time before the tyranny is recognized. you would think the lobby power of the big three could stop stupidity but apparently that is not the case...since we can measure so small you can make **** look like a huge problem when its not with issues of this type..its enough to scare off any fight it would seem so far... i admit there is a big jump from 02 technology compared to current, but the reality of the results are not worth the cost in my eyes. the complexities and fail rates happening today are shameful...i am confidant there will be huge improvments in the next 2-5 years, but at what costs?? i am sure you guys keep these idi trucks around as toys because you prefer your 60-70 thousand dollar new cclb trucks as your daily drivers?

surely...most people will understand that there loved one died because the ambulance/fire-rescue vehicles shut down/depowered all in the name of some tiny fawking measurement..... right?

i say this with direct reference to the situations i have seen from florida to michigan to pa the past year....more then a few times an ambulance broke down on the side of the road or at a gas station stranded....new builds...some with 200k price tags some with less then 3k miles on em. dead or would hardly move. down in bradington just talked with a firefighter that claimed of four new vehicles 3 had cost them over 10 grand in related failures of emission components and left them stranded as well a few times. i would not have thought a ambulance or any rescue vehicle would have the new crap applied to them. issue at hand was the modified chassis...how the hell does that fly? most places can not afford those risks in equipment failures and costs from what i understand about the debt clock...

seems to me those on the political ends of these ridiculous demands should be finding themselves subject to a jury of their peers and potentially on the end of ropes or in the brig.

because....you cant fix stupid. and stupid is not a good place for lawmaking to be any where near in such a competitive world.

worst case......someday in the next few years i will be running a minty cc 350....hopefully 79 ish with a 12 valve....at a pricepoint i can easily afford for a summertime dd...

kicks soap box to corner......

carry on with manly excessive od use talk fellas :)

110 across open space az aint nothing to me....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
better idea is to get rid of the assclowns making these rules. there are not that many people, even in cali that are that stupid about the reality of the emissions situation given the information available..... those truck killing clowns are heavily outnumbered, and just a matter of time before the tyranny is recognized. you would think the lobby power of the big three could stop stupidity but apparently that is not the case...
I normally go out of my way to avoid the political threads (bad for my blood pressure :shocked: ), but thought I should point something out. Unfortunately, as it stands, the CARB effectively has no oversight whatsoever...the members are appointed by the governor, and IIRC the appointments are permanent and there's really no mechanism in place to remove a member. As I recall, these elements were deliberate, with the idea that the members wouldn't be influenced by politics and would stick strictly to the science of the matter...unfortunately, the powers that be didn't consider the idea that people appointed to the board would have an agenda of their own or such. Ironically, we actually have Ronald Reagan to thank for this; he's the one who signed the CARB into existence when he was governor -cuss

Given the unique problems CA has with smog (thinking about the smog-bowl valleys of Southern California in particular), I can see a need for special air regulation in CA...but the CARB desperately needs to be overhauled. At the very least, there needs to be some form of accountability...

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally go out of my way to avoid the political threads (bad for my blood pressure :shocked: ), but thought I should point something out. Unfortunately, as it stands, the CARB effectively has no oversight whatsoever...the members are appointed by the governor, and IIRC the appointments are permanent and there's really no mechanism in place to remove a member. As I recall, these elements were deliberate, with the idea that the members wouldn't be influenced by politics and would stick strictly to the science of the matter...unfortunately, the powers that be didn't consider the idea that people appointed to the board would have an agenda of their own or such. Ironically, we actually have Ronald Reagan to thank for this; he's the one who signed the CARB into existence when he was governor -cuss

Given the unique problems CA has with smog (thinking about the smog-bowl valleys of Southern California in particular), I can see a need for special air regulation in CA...but the CARB desperately needs to be overhauled. At the very least, there needs to be some form of accountability...

a fairly large measurable percentage of the smog on the coast is not even from our country, we need carb to be active in china/russia more so then cali.

and just like reagan had a hand in its creation, and for good reason i do not argue there, it can now be modified and made reasonable. we all know the road to hell is paved with the very best of intentions, but insightful redirection can keep us out of the fire.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing about this argument over CARB everyone forgets, the current data being used to "justify" higher standards is based on fake numbers pulled out of thin air, put together by an individual with faked credentials.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Now ask yourself this: Why would a Democrat controlled legislature allow for this to continue?

Power and increased control over what you do to justify the greater existence of more government to rake in more fines and tax dollars.

The big 3 have no need to fight for the older vehicle, they're in the business of making new stuff. What do they care if the emissions equipment costs more than the rest of the vehicle. They're just obeying the law, and is reflected in price. So long as people buy these vehicles, there's no reason to fight even the false numbers. They're in the business of building stuff within compliance.

You want to change it? Better vote correctly AND insure your polling booth looks at the voters ID before voting. Know who you candidates are, including background, not just what the lips present. I know it's hard and time consuming.... but... look at what we got now for not doing our own due diligence on politicians.

Ineptocracy ( in-ep-toc'-re-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

The confiscation system involves everything you do and demands money be paid.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a fairly large measurable percentage of the smog on the coast is not even from our country, we need carb to be active in china/russia more so then cali.

and just like reagan had a hand in its creation, and for good reason i do not argue there, it can now be modified and made reasonable. we all know the road to hell is paved with the very best of intentions, but insightful redirection can keep us out of the fire.
You make a good point, although I think it's worth pointing out that, while this may be true now, this was not true in 1967, when the Smog Bowl was at its worst.. At the same time, yes, more needs to be done about curbing emissions in rapidly developing nations...China's the best example, although India's another good example...and, at the same time, the U.S. still puts out more emissions on a per capita basis than either of them, although China's total emissions is higher now.

In any event, the CARB desperately needs to be reformed...this whole trainwreck about forcing older diesels out is going to kill small businesses in CA :( and, yet, they're not doing anything about the large gasoline engines, which put out much worse emissions cookoo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
finally got some time to string up a rudimentary electrical to engage the OD solenoid. haven't changed the oil in it yet. the engagement and disengagement is a little rough as a result but it sure does it firmly! with 4.10 gearsets on the front and rear, my OD speed /rpms is as observed......
65mph/2400 rpm
75mph/2600 rpm.
85mph/2800 rpm
with double OD engaged.......
65mph/1800 rpm.
75mph/2100 rpm.
85mph/2300 rpm.
do bear in mind the speedo and tach is not the most accurate around, but isn't way off either.
my gross at the time of testing is 7900lbs.
everything was ran at sea level on relatively flat terrain.
overall, imho there was enough power for the motor to accelerate on flat ground and this is w/o turbo.
definitely needed is cruise control in order to keep the speed from creeping up to the point I get into trouble.
worth it? hell yeah!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kewl!!

I may have missed the link, but did you install a GV to operate with the factory OD button, or is it separately switched? Your RPM's before are within about 100 of what I experience, would love to get R's down too. I really like my 410 so not interested at all in switching it out.... love what it does with a load.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kewl!!

I may have missed the link, but did you install a GV to operate with the factory OD button, or is it separately switched? Your RPM's before are within about 100 of what I experience, would love to get R's down too. I really like my 410 so not interested at all in switching it out.... love what it does with a load.
tom-
eventually I will have a "eaton" switch mounted on the stick. in the meantime, it's just a cheezy dime store push-pull switch giving it direct power. i haven't thought of using the OD button from a E4DOA since seeing one in a truck makes me violently ill.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't thought of using the OD button from a E4DOA since seeing one in a truck makes me violently ill.

Aaaahahahahaaaa!!!

Hey! Just askin'!

Kewl! Thanks, give me something else to think about.... to spend money on I don't have!

Right now, my 1 year old 3G is overcharging intermittently.... and my valve cover gaskets are shooting oil like craaazzeeee.... keeps the dust down in my driveway though.... Got Felpro's last week from OSmileys, only $6.00 for the set! I was surprised they even had em in stock. Not trying to hi-jack, thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online