GearVendors behind ZF5 4x4 - Anyone done it and care to share their setup?

silexis

Reaction score
I have the GV unit on a ZF5 4.10 gears, shifts with a solenoid, mounts behind the transfer case. It is locked out anytime the 4wd dash light has been on. To reset it after using 4wd, I back up to unlock hubs then turn off the ignition then restart the truck. I have about 200K miles on it. The only issue I have had with it is shifting is delayed and harsh unless the gear oil is changed often. GV recommends the same synthetic lube as in the NV4500, which I used to only be able to get at dealers for $20/qt or so. Now Oreillys has some that meets specs for around $10/qt. I usually change it every other oil change and clean the internal filter screens. I once went a bit longer and it wouldn't engage. I was going to send it in to GV for repair, but they wanted something like $1000 to fix it. I ended up disassembling it, cleaning it out and it worked fine.
It drops out of OD if you go less than 20mph or so, then it will slam back into gear once you get above 30 or so. It shifts pretty smooth if you use the clutch when engaging/disengaging.
I shift it with a small rocker switch mounted on the gear shift lever by the knob.
I primarily use it on roads and highways above 45mph. The shifting is kind of too slow to use it for moving heavy loads and some of the gear ratios end up being redundant (like 4th OD is the same as 5th).
I get about 16-19mpg on highway/country roads with a little bit of Front Range/East California traffic craziness mixed in.
It seems like I have some extra parts designed for a EOD trans that I didn't use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online