door striker plastic cover

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have had my passenger door rattling for awhile now and decided to replace the little plastic piece that slides over the striker. well didn't want to pay the price for the little plastic so here is a easy fix. Go to lowes or where ever and get some 1/2" white water line. They come in 5' or 10' pieces. You cut it to match your striker shank and I had to ream the inside out with a drill bit just over 1/2". Slide it on your stiker and replace it. Done. Didn't know if anybody else has done this but you can make tons of these with a 5' piece of water line. Just thought I would share this for the other that hate spending money like me.;Really

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done this myself also, using the small black plastic water line. I have had two of these trucks and always was struggling to keep the doors from rattling and kept adjusting the pin. I didn't even realize there was supposed to be a plastic piece around the pin. I stumbled upon that revelation in another forum. That little plastic piece makes a big difference.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Didnt you have to buy the little plastic water line? The actual replacement part can be found in the Help section in an auto store for a reasonable price.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya the actual part is about 5 bucks for 2 of them so the water line is about the same price iirc so
and my truck eats those things i hate it but need to fix the rust so door shuts evenly lol

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
mine eats em up too cause my hinges are worn on the passenger side. good idea, after i get new hinges i may use this technique.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have had my passenger door rattling for awhile now and decided to replace the little plastic piece that slides over the striker. well didn't want to pay the price for the little plastic so here is a easy fix. Go to lowes or where ever and get some 1/2" white water line. They come in 5' or 10' pieces. You cut it to match your striker shank and I had to ream the inside out with a drill bit just over 1/2". Slide it on your stiker and replace it. Done. Didn't know if anybody else has done this but you can make tons of these with a 5' piece of water line. Just thought I would share this for the other that hate spending money like me.;Really

The ACE hardware next door has this exact same plastic line for sale by the foot.

I made myself a set by cutting to length, splitting them length-wise, and snapping them over the strikers, turning the split to the back side.

They have been on there for several years and cured all of my door closure problems. ;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine eats em up too cause my hinges are worn on the passenger side. good idea, after i get new hinges i may use this technique.

The doors sagging was one of the things I worked on before I discovered the plastic piece was supposed to be there.

I decided instead of replacing the hinges or the bushings, I would adjust the door up so it would not place so much pressure on the pin. After breaking my 1/4 ratchet on those little bolts going into the cowl, I just loosened the lower hinge bolts going into the door and placed washers between the door and the hinge. That brought the door right up off the pin, and is a 15 minute quick fix to raise the rear of the door up.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats 8.50 a piece though and you can make several for that price out of plastic line and work just the same. Like I said I'm a tight *** when it comes to money.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post a pic cause I don't know what the heck you all are talking about ;Really

The big pin that is mounted on the cab that the door latch engages. It's supposed to have plastic around the smaller part of it.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...still got mine but maybe not for long on the driver side > as that door sags just a tiny-weeny bit when opened. It's always something or another with a 23 year old truck :frustrate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726