Make door striker bushings from PEX tube

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I apologize if this is already common knowledge, but I discovered that you can make new door striker bushings from 1/2” pex tubing. It fits tightly on the striker; I had to tap it on with a 1/2” deep socket. My doors don’t rattle anymore, and I don’t have to slam them closed anymore either. We’ll see how long the pex holds up, but a six foot length was $2.50 and I could make 72 bushings from it, so I don’t have much to lose. If you’re missing your door bushings I highly recommend you spend $2.50 and 5 minutes to make some!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It holds up for years. I have been using it for a long time. You might have picked the idea up from a thread in another forum I haunt were I said something about it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Either way, I hadn't heard of it and I think that it's a great idea. I may have to try this soon.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It holds up for years. I have been using it for a long time. You might have picked the idea up from a thread in another forum I haunt were I said something about it.
Actually I got the idea from an Amazon reviewer when I was shopping for new bushings. They said they felt foolish paying $10 for a set and then realizing they were very similar to some PEX tubing they had in their shop. I figured why not give it a try for a couple bucks. Glad to hear they hold up!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read about using Pex probably 3 years ago. Bought a piece at HD and made a couple for my 86, really did make a huge difference with how the doors close.

If the Bushings for the Door hinge is worn out, that will also cause the door to sag and put extra wear on the Bushings. Lift up on the door to see how much up and down play there is.

Some of the Striker bolts with the added black steel bracket will unscrew from the bracket and some do not.
I had upgraded the 86 with this added Bracket, so had to cut down one side and pry the Pex open to slide it on.

Iam a frequent flyier at PNP and with a T50 Bit and my handy electric Impact gun have removed quite a few strikers. The one`s that unscrew, and the Bushings look good, I grab them. The Pass door side are usually in good shape, and some Vans or explorers use these on the back doors also. I now have a bucket full of them. :sly
The Bushings are a bit thicker than the Pex.

Here is a picture from Auto Zoo of the Striker.
This one is $16, but seen them much lower

and then good old E-Bay, bless their heart, only $43.70.

I think Ford went with the Bracket because people were catching their coats etc... when getting out of the vehicle.

Here is a whole bag for $16.50, hey Christmas is coming up, great Stocking stuffers...LOL

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86