NYLON DOOR STRIKERS- MODIFIED.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On all four of my trucks the locally available "Help" brand bushings do not fit into the jaws of the lock when it's closed. Testing was done with the door wide open, and they would not fully engage in the door latch itself, so it's not an alignment issue.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did all 6 doors after the conversion.
And the first one I did, the door stuck closed.
After about an hour of messing with it and aligning the striker,
I realized that the nylon was actually too big in diameter.
The latch was digging in to the nylon.

After realizing this, I took the strikers to my machine, turned them down, and vwaloa!
The rest went on like butter

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do these fix the issue of the doors hanging loose on the truck? I don't think I noticed any nylon fittings on the strikers.. the doors have hung open enough long enough that water has leaked around the door and rusted out the sill on the drivers side to the point ill likely have to cut it out and weld a new one in.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be worth the investment. Both of my doors are loose when closed so these may help.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really have to stare at the door and shut it a few times to figure out what's going on. If the door raises up a little bit when it shuts, whether you have the plastic bushing or not, the hinges are worn. Of course the "right" thing to do is replace the bushings, but a quick way to raise the door up is to loosen the lower hinge bolts on the door and install some thin washers. I have tried to loosen the other bolts so I would not have to use washers but they are very tight, and I have broken a couple of ratchets trying to get them loose. There is not much room in there.

Once I got the door shutting without the pin raising it up, it would still not shut sometimes and bounce back out about a 1/2 inch. When I found out about the plastic missing, I installed the pex over the pin and the door quit doing the bounce-back problem and shut on the first try every time.

On a another truck I had, the door rattled terribly when going over bumps. I had the door all adjusted up and it still did it. The frame crossmembers were starting to rust out bad so I went to the junkyard and got the back half of a better frame, drilled out all the rivets, and installed them in my truck. That's when I found out on the "good" donor, the brace right under the cab mount donut had rusted out a perfect hole right under the rubber. When I took mine out I found the same thing, so I had to patch the donor brace before I installed it. After I did all this I realized a bonus; No more door rattle over bumps, the whole driver's side rear cab was not being supported and that made the door rattle.

Since that spot was rusted on both trucks, I am thinking that might be a common problem, though it hasn't happened on my 89 yet. A good way to test it is to get a crowbar and try to pry up the cab near the rear cab mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online