Do i need an intercooler for the Bull Moose pump?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a bull moose pump and misters today to replace the older pump and injectors in my truck. I i guess i should have done more reading on this forum as i see its highly recommended that i install an intercooler with it. I am really not looking to make tons of power, more so fuel ecconomy than anything and i liked the design of the misters and figured the bull moose pump was the the most tried and true one offered. the truck is a 1993 factory turbo 199k on it, 5 speed, 2wd, crew cab, long bed with 9ft utility bed and lift gate and drw with 4.10s. It weights 8700lbs as i drive it. I drive it around 2000 miles per month. I replaced the turbo with a rebuilt stock turbo with wicked wheel, have the 2.75" banks down pipe, stock casting, 4" exhaust through aero turbine muffler, plus 3.5" intake with k&n filter.

Right now max boost i see is 7psi, which will get EGTs around 1100 in 5 seconds or so of WOT, cruising at 65mph i see 1-2psi boost and egts around 600.

Is this truck going to roll smoke out of it constantly while driving in traffic? 90% of my driving is on highways 55-65mph. I rarely tow anything with it, maybe twice a year. I was looking at putting an intercooler on anyway but it looks like i will need to get rid of my AC? I would really rather not do that as i can live without the AC, but not so much the defrosters.

Is anyone running the bull moose and misters with no intercooler?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel recommends an intercooler. That said, drive it by the pyro and you will be ok for a while.

There is no need to get rid of the air conditioner on a 93. There are a couple good write ups on installing an intercooler on an OBS front end.

This one is installed on a banks turbo kit, but the execution is the same other than a few pipe routing differences for the different turbo mounting.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...anks-Wastegated-Sidewinder-Into-9th-Gen-Truck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have the Banks wastegated Sidewinder turbo and no intercooler. No smoke unless I really ask for it. I have "adjusted me fuel delivery rate to fit my driving needs. I only did this AFTER talking with Mel. These Moose pump products rock. They give more hp and torque plus better fuel mileage. That's unheard of in the high performance world. But it sure works.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't run a bull without an intercooler.it would be fairly hard to work the truck without the eyes clued to the pyro.you've got 4.10 gearing which will help keep the rpms up but,do yourself a favor,just intercool her.;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bull moose and misters, with a OEM 093 here.

IMO, as a person that drives on the boarder line of 51-50,
im on the other end of the spectrum.

i believe an innercooler is a must.
CDI highly suggests it, but i wouldnt put this much fuel into the engine without one.
even with an IC, i ended up cooking a head. which lead to an expensive rebuild.
if you drive like a grandpa, you may be ok,

how much smoke you spew is directly related to your right foot.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on installing an intercooler yet, if ever. I like the engine bay free of all the extra piping.

I wonder if Mel will let me send the pump back once it gets here and exchange for a smaller one? I didn't realize it was so over powered.

What would you guys recommend the baby moose or the moose Jr in my case? And are the moose misters going to be helping me or hurting me vs the moose mates?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my sig has all the details of my truck and I am very happy with the moose jr and misters. I noticed a big difference in boost performance with his fuel products.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually takes a day or two for him to ship out.
may wanna give him a call asap

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on installing an intercooler yet, if ever. I like the engine bay free of all the extra piping.

well since your looking for max efficiency,you may want to reconsider.an intercooler is worth adding even without a hotter ip.the cooler you can get that air,the more fuel it can burn more efficiently.an intercooler + bull moose = good stuff.
the piping is very,very easy to remove if you need to work around something.i added the intercooler before my bull moose and im running an intercooler on my second truck with an oem spec ip still too.intercoolers are very effective ways to lowering egts and raising engine efficiency.you really should think it over some more.they are fairly easy to add too.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may just do that then. I spoke to Mel today I ordered pump at 11 am yeatersay shipped same day and I'll be here today sometime. I'm only 110 miles from them. Mel says I will be fine without ic for now since I live in delaware. I think the highest elevation in the state is the land fill at 50ft or so. There are no hills where I live.

I'll gather some good data before ic install and see how much it helps or hurts fuel ecconomy. Mell said they have a hyper max kit for $1400 that bolts right on without removing turbo, I'll have to look and see how hard it'd be without buying that kit, I'm pretty handy with a welder, I don't have a tubing bender but may invest in one.

What size ic piping is everyone running?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how one adds an IC w/o unbolting turbo...intake snail aka hershey kiss doesnt come off less u do?????.

Remove turbo no...unbolt and move yes....but maybe I am blowing smoke...dunno

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the compressor housing can be loosened and rotated with it still on maybe? I am not sure though. I just replaced turbo and never seized anything so it's not a huge deal to remove if i have to. I had a hell of a time getting it back in because I didn't realize it had to be clocked. I am used to the v clamp style I didn't know these could be rotated haha

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"without removing turbo"
all you gotta do is loosen it.
hat will come off.
hat will need 2" pipe either welded or sealed to hat.
i welded mine with aluminum tube
i have a grand total of $500 into my 1000 CFM FMIC.
tubing i used based off of FORDF250HDXTLSDSDFH's install was 2.25" tubing.
2- 2" to 2 1/4 boots
and 2-3"to2.25" 90* elbows
the piping, i purchased stainless steel mandrel U-bends from summit, think i used 3 of them.
cut, weld, file, polish!! :D
(mine are coated)
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before coating
(has modified hood)
You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT: SEARCH TECH ARTICLE!
people like FORDF250HDXLT make tech articles that explains this in depth.
and a mighty fine tech article he presents.