do i need a cossover pipe

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. IIRC the reason you run a crossover pipe is to balance out the exhaust pulses between the banks of cylinders. The engine will run more smoothly if you do.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it should be the same diameter as the pipes you're connecting.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. IIRC the reason you run a crossover pipe is to balance out the exhaust pulses between the banks of cylinders. The engine will run more smoothly if you do.

Huh? Where did this line of thinking come from? On what grounds do you make this statement when dealing with an engine that ideally wants zero backpresure in the exhaust? The Moosestang has had true duals for years, and it runs just as smooth as any other IDI's I have not similarly equipped. :dunno

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh? Where did this line of thinking come from? On what grounds do you make this statement when dealing with an engine that ideally wants zero backpresure in the exhaust? The Moosestang has had true duals for years, and it runs just as smooth as any other IDI's I have not similarly equipped. :dunno

was thinking the same thing mine has true duals and is smooth as can be

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
The technology seems to support something more like this these days.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10791/

I don't think you could possibly notice a difference in idle quality in a diesel with and without a crossover pipe, but I don't see why the same theory that it ultimately creates better flow for the exhaust would be different on a diesel than a gasser. No matter how open the exhaust is, it will have pulses.

I don't think it would be worth it on these trucks though as long as you have a good flowing exhaust since for the crossover to work right it needs to be equidistant from the collector on each side, which would create ground clearance problems. If you just have a straight crossover made, you would have to watch closesly, since most shops would do cruddy job of building it and have it sticking into the exhaust flow.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
one problem with true dual STACKS is the front fuel tank i guess if you did alot of bends you could get around the driveshaft and fuel tank but then lose the effect of TRUE duals

or maybe im just crazy

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score

Actually its old but proven technology and is quite comen
look under mid pipe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftermarket_exhaust_parts

probably wont notice it on our lazy diesels but start looking under cars at the next hot rod show and you will find them

1992F-250IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i was thinking it didnt cuz they dont need bake pressure so do i or dont i

1992F-250IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one problem with true dual STACKS is the front fuel tank i guess if you did alot of bends you could get around the driveshaft and fuel tank but then lose the effect of TRUE duals

or maybe im just crazy

i dont have a front tank alot of fuel problems lead me to taking it out and so im good to go there

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
on gassers a crossover helps a LOT. an h pipe is best for torque and x pipe for hp. on our lathargic IDIs i dont think it matters...or many big trucks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm not trying to discount the value of a cross over pipe on a gas exhaust system, but to me a cross over pipe on a diesel is just as dumb as putting a catalytic converter on one too, but obviously they do that also. LOL

tractorman86

Reaction score
I could see it being worth while if you had some of those headers with true duals and a belt driven forced induction. In fact, I'd like to see that however otherwise it is a pointless expense