Diesel Power Gets A New Toy

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I wonder what the hood seal/ air cleaner seal combination look like? could be a candidate for that water intrusion if it's been sitting a while. He said water , not coolant

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's always parasitic losses between the flywheel and the tires. I am not at all suprised to see those numbers. the numbers do affirm how low things kick in and how stable it is. In the real world, that's golden.;Sweet

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is parasitic loss, but not close to 40% in loss, that is unless its a high altitude version. I would have expected numbers in the 120 range in HP, just seemed really low, and like 300 ft/lbs of torque since is a 7.3L.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a early Dayton dyno at my high school autoshop years ago and the numbers I seen back then was at least a 50% loss. Even with seriously modded american iron, there was no escape. Keep in mind this dyno isn't anywhere near as sophisticated as the later stuff, but it was consistent.
probably the reason why I pay little attention to advertised hp gains from those so-called "high performance" manufacturers.

tknomaj

Reaction score
dyno

Like Towcat said power at flywheel and real world at the wheels are two different animals back when i was in college we had a brand new dodge colt twin stick that had a window sticker that stated 70hp bored one day we put this baby on the dyno and at the wheels it had 16hp ran it all day and everyone was:rotflmao So those numbers are not bad

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iirc travis/argve back in the days before barnyard animal were in his bed, he put the "E" on rollers and gotten 210 out of her with a firehose shoved down her throat but no drugs were involved(at least for the truck itself).
87-91 CC DRW 7.3 turbo, no IC, E4OD, water/**** flood system. It ran pretty righteously at most GTG's.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its a combination of a tired engine and high parasitic loss. How many miles are on the truck again? But anyway it might that. :dunno

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all we know, it could be as simple as a blocked fuel filter or weak lift pump. I want to smack them simply for using either when they first bought it.:backoff

BAD HUMAN!

sootman73

Reaction score
I know there is parasitic loss, but not close to 40% in loss, that is unless its a high altitude version. I would have expected numbers in the 120 range in HP, just seemed really low, and like 300 ft/lbs of torque since is a 7.3L.

its a 6.9 not a 7.3l. 1987 year truck. plus they said it was a 6.9. that seems really low.

i know my truck would turn more than that! mine will spin the tires to 40mph:eek: with a slight 1-2 psi boost launch. a 88 7.3l NA with c6 had me off the line because the tires wouldn't catch!LOL;Sweet

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Depends on the type of dyno too, I saw an IDI at Bean's back in Dec with a Banks kit do 162 hp & 400ft lbs of TQ
Now granted I saw a few other trucks putting down #s up to 100hp low that day it is what it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim Allen (writer for off road adventures magazine) on FTE had his 1986 6.9 dynoed at 192 RWHP. Had one of the older non wastegated banks turbos.

His truck has a C6.