New IP, GP, and injectors… she’s running but smoking like crazy got a lope too

Jcsheriff

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
LOL I’ve been lurking around here a little while I’ve got so many great ideas and input from you guys to keep my 93 IDI non-turbo running well. She’s all stock except for the E pump I’ve been running for about three years. Long story short several months back While returning home from work she started to hesitate and finally the IP gave out, I had all the warning signs it was going I was just taking it for as long as I could because They aren’t cheap. So I went to Pensacola diesel got me a new IP pump eight new injectors and some cheap oh glow plugs. After I did all the work getting everything back in turn the key crank crank crank killed batteries. I know because I bought cheapo glow plugs that was probably my culprit at the time so I bypassed the relay and put it on a toggle switch. Hit that button for about 35 seconds to make sure everything is good and warm, truck fired right up.

As expected because she sat for a while heavy heavy white smoke jumping around a little bit with a motor. Once you get warmed up and cleared out a bitThe smoke still remained, still the white gray smoke. Engine smooth very very little shaking tachometer stay steady. I know I’ve got good fuel. I’ve also included a video to see if any of y’all have any ideas of what else I could possibly do. I can also hear a little lope sound from the throat. But she will stay running without my foot on the pedal just that heavy white smoke, so looking for ideas where do I start. Haven’t done too much on the engines but I’ve usually done a lot of the suspension all the parts and normally wear out on suspension that’s what I replaced already. Not much of a diagnostic type person because I don’t have a lot of know how but everything I learned I learned from here. Appreciate any help you guys can give me, mama was going to make me get rid of her because she became an eyesore in the yard because she sat for a few months I was trying to figure out what to do. But now that she’s awake she’s been pardoned LOL now I need to get her to stop smoking.

Last edited:

Jcsheriff

Reaction score
I sent it off desperation cause this was a daily work horse plus money got tight. I had read mixed reviews.

Jcsheriff

Reaction score
FWIW- when I did the IP, I left the pump housing on, I just removed the three bolts and worked the pump out.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first got mine working after 6 or 7 years of it sitting abandoned, mine did the same thing.

I fixed it by turning the IP top towards the passenger fender by about 3/16" total. In 1/16" increments.

Jcsheriff

Reaction score
I read something like that before Selahdoor, I just couldn’t see how it moved I guess just loosen the 3 bolts on the IP body, then give her a few love taps with a soft mallet or pry bar into position until I get a bolt down tight enough? I’ll give it a go tomorrow when I’m off. I really need to go pick up my tractor, my grass is so tall I’m worried my 9 year old, going to get lost when he’s outside playing in the yard. Not to mention the snakes

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
First and formost,

Welcome.

Secondly, I know money is tight, but you can end up costing yourself so much more in the long run with those cheap glow plugs. The Buru Motorcraft ones are the best and honestly cheap enough.

Lastly, After sitting that long, gonna have to burn off a lot of stuff, and with a new pump the timing is going to be off. It needs to be timed, but I know you probably dont have a meter, so you can make a mark on the pump, and loosen the 3 bolts and turn the pump left or right a dimes with at a time, and see how it runs. The pump will not turn easy, its more of a prying turn.

If you search timing an idi on youtube, im sure there are plenty of videos, or you can search this forum and im sure there are write ups as well, I would start in the Tech section at the top of the forum.

EDIT:
Your in Hondo, I see. Look up Classic diesel designs in san antonio, Tell Wes ya saw him on the Oilburners page, and see if he can give ya a head dialing it in using a meter, Vs just the guess-o-meter

Good luck,

From a Fellow Texan

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just don’t try to adjust pump with it running. Put a scribe mark across pump and mount for reference. Then as Selahdoor said, small adjustments.

Jcsheriff

Reaction score
Thank y’all for the info. I was thinking possibly timing with all the unburned fuel smoking out the pipe, I’ll check back in on Tuesday- I’m on my 24 work day right now.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto on timing.

On the pump face there is a square block you can put a wrench on to turn the IP left or right. Don't bang it with a hammer. If it is not wanting to turn enough to a point you feel you are putting to much force on the pump, then you will want to loosen the lines to do so. (Since you just put it on, it should move a little either way as your lines are now relaxed.)

Also most of us have altered some cheap box wrenches or spare box wrenches (No need to damage your Crafstman or Snap On.) to be able to get the wrench in and the nuts on the pump loose to turn it. Several posts how that is done.

Although moving the IP till she stops smoking will help, you really need a timing device to set your timing right. (Or use the shop mentioned above.) As you are seeing when you add a pump or injectors, or in your case both, you need to reset your timing. (As they wear they will change the timing. IE - Pop and release the diesel at the injector earlier as they wear down.)

Many are buying the Tech Time timing system a guy is selling on E-bay for about $225, we believe these are military surplus, thus the low price. I think this is the link (See below), but read some of the posts to confirm. Also this guy seems to take offers of $180-200, so ask for a discount. Some have said they had a issue with the damper sensor not fitting in. But you can use a external timing light with the box instead of the damper sensor. Others have drilled out the hole on the timing bracket so it would fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291925919893?hash=item43f8240895:g:kIEAAOSwal5YE5ww

Also some good threads on how to use these units, so do a google search 0ilburners.net IDI timing. It sounds a little challenging but it is pretty basic. If you have issues we are all here to jump in and help you out.

If timing does not fix as SJwelds suggested above, the results from that rebuilder have been mixed. So they may have to swap out your IP or repair again. But lets confirm once the timing is set and not assume it is not working.

Jcsheriff

Reaction score
Just thanking y’all for the help, haven’t been ache to get under the hood yet. My mom just came home from hospital street major surgery. I’ll report back in a few days. Should be able to back att it by Saturday.

Jcsheriff

Reaction score
Ok so I advanced the pump in small increments until the fall between the the two marks are approximately 7/16” apart. Truck fired up instantly and was pretty smooth. I was still having the heavy smoke. My question is shouldn’t the smoke clear up? I’m going to set up a tensioner to push the advance just a little bit more. If the fact that the unburned fuel smoke is still heavy but not as heavy as the video what should I look into from there?
Tomorrow I’m going to cold start at the adjustment I’m at now, and see how she fires up. Any further ideas? Thanks in advance

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would leave the timing where it is for right now.

Drive. Drive it hard. Get out there on the highway, and get the revs up for an extended period of time. Pull a trailer up a hill. Etc.

These engines are made to work hard, and are happiest when they do.

Give it some time, and if you still keep seeing the light blue/white smoke, you can try adjusting the timing a bit more.

Also, when it starts belching black smoke when you put your foot to the floor... You've gone too far advanced on the timing.