Diesel Power Gets A New Toy

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Whats the budget for this build up? Is it going to be just a tweak at a time like with the old school Cummins? If so, first thing it needs is to diagnose that coolantg in the oil. That could be very serious as you know...bad. It probably is a blown head gasket(internal) or cavitated block. If it is cavitated you'll need to dry sleeve that block or get another one. If so, do a real buildup right from the start. A mild build that wouldn't break the budget. Assuming you stay with the 7.3 block, you want to upgrade to turbo rods and pistons and perhaps take about .010" off the tops of those pistons. Victor-reinz or felpro head gaskets, and you might think about ceramic coating on the pistons. Of course it needs a turbo, Fordguy 100 pointed out the economy of a used turbo and the interest for your readers that a tech article on a turbo rebuild would generate, so try and snag a used ATS, Banks or Hypermax turbo and rebuild it. Studs would be a good upgrade but they would be a large expense. Not really needed unless you intend to boost past 13psi on a regular basis. A tweaked DB2 pump would be a good upgrade and much more economical, they are available from a few sources and with Diesel Power's resources you could probably have a custom pump sourced from your stanadyne dealer.

id have to say no that is a build up
but the only thing id put in there is the addition of a coolant filter
an other addition would be is to get the pump from mel
THE MOOSE PUMP:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! What a great thing to see. I may have to subscibe now, if we're going to get some IDI in every issue. :)

RedTruck

Reaction score
Really good to see. Thanks for taking on the project.

Paul

tractorman86

Reaction score
i agree a moose pump is in order and maybe that would be a good guennie pig for moose injectors!;Poke;Poke

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I think you should start with head work, before and after a turbo with numbers. Then see what kind of cam options you can help US with by checking with some pro's. I would buy a subscription for that.

Chris

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should start with head work, before and after a turbo with numbers. Then see what kind of cam options you can help US with by checking with some pro's. I would buy a subscription for that.

Chris
I have yet to see a cam make a difference in one of these motors and still be streetable.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow I don't think experimental injectors would be a good thing to try in public. cookoo

LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES!!!!!

Thanks a ton for getting an IDI project for the magazine! That's going to be a great project!;Sweet I can't wait to see what you guys do with it.

Heath

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
bah, gary keeps turning his fuel down.
I've got a moose pump turned up two flats and I've still got alot of distance to go.

apparently 12psi outta an 088 turbo seems to process alotta fuel.