Diesel Power Gets A New Toy

97rattlebox

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have some awesome news that can’t wait! Well, technically I haven’t asked for permission to tell you guys what it is, so I included the link below for you to check out at your leisure, which should let the cat out of the bag easy enough.

Of course, your thoughts on what to do with Diesel Power’s new guinea pig will be greatly appreciated. Here is the link:

http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/6294715/miscellaneous/idi-build-up/index.html

-Mike McGlothlin

tractorman86

Reaction score
sweeeeetttttt:D;Sweet:thumbsup: right on mike i read your coment on that page!;Sweet so do you guys have any plans yet? i guess i will be watching VERY closley!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes!!!! ;Sweet. Right on guys, way to draw some attention to the IDI ;Sweet

First things first is you have to diagnose the water in the oil.....lets hope its not cavitation.

Sounds like you want to do alternative fuels and some performance mods, sounds great ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is that an 88, 89, 90 or what year??? I may not have caught what year it is. The water in oil could be lots-o-things... Probably its the oil cooler o-rings but maybe the water pump was changed and those 4 bolts that go thru the timing cover are leaking water into the oil. If you want some help I'm just east of downtown L.A about 15 miles. Pm me....

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Cool! I have a '90 that I'm getting ready to scrap (be quick, it's gone in the next week or so) that you can take whatever body parts you might need.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
great ill be reading closely but what is it water or coolant there is a difference got to be spesific
because if its water some ******* could have put water in the fill tube lol
but coolant thats a different story
icanfixall has a good diagonosis point

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the budget for this build up? Is it going to be just a tweak at a time like with the old school Cummins? If so, first thing it needs is to diagnose that coolantg in the oil. That could be very serious as you know...bad. It probably is a blown head gasket(internal) or cavitated block. If it is cavitated you'll need to dry sleeve that block or get another one. If so, do a real buildup right from the start. A mild build that wouldn't break the budget. Assuming you stay with the 7.3 block, you want to upgrade to turbo rods and pistons and perhaps take about .010" off the tops of those pistons. Victor-reinz or felpro head gaskets, and you might think about ceramic coating on the pistons. Of course it needs a turbo, Fordguy 100 pointed out the economy of a used turbo and the interest for your readers that a tech article on a turbo rebuild would generate, so try and snag a used ATS, Banks or Hypermax turbo and rebuild it. Studs would be a good upgrade but they would be a large expense. Not really needed unless you intend to boost past 13psi on a regular basis. A tweaked DB2 pump would be a good upgrade and much more economical, they are available from a few sources and with Diesel Power's resources you could probably have a custom pump sourced from your stanadyne dealer.