Diesel Power's Project 300 IDI Build Up Part: 2

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty weird, but I'd trust Hypermax to know. I hate to ask, but is this due to block twisting, or just crazy water flow?

Mel-

You are correct on both. I was told that at 1200hp and pushing 7000 rpm :eek:, crazy things happen to this engine. At those rpms, the generously sized water pump is starting to make some pretty stupid pressure, and the block flexes/twists... a lot. Even with a main bearing girdle. The combination of these two things make stock freeze plugs spit out like so many watermelon seeds.

87-F-250-

Hypermax still has a couple of those main bearing girdle kits left on the shelf. $2500... These things ain't cheap to build.

Eric

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fascinating. I sure wish there was more documentation for public consumption about Hypermax's experiments with the IDI. Those are the numbers I've heard before, so I have no doubt that this was true. I just sure as heck wish we knew for sure exactly what they did to get those numbers.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd sure like to see a test on a set of these if you wanted to get carried away enough.

Last edited:

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me see if I can remember correctly, but the recipe went something like this...

7.3 block sleeved to 6.9
main bearing girdle that I *think* tied the mains together with the oil pan bolt holes
Custom pistons and rods.
REALLY low compression (somewhere around 12-14:1)
Custom head work that is not known to the public.
C-ring head gaskets with studs.
Compound turbos (in the picture the "little one" looked bigger than an S400)
Fabricated intake and exhaust.
Inline injection pump (possibly from an E9 Mack)
Water injection.
and the aforemetioned rubber freeze plugs.

Some of this I know for sure, some I know as secondhand information. There is a lot about this engine that isn't known, and Hypermax is pretty tight lipped about exactly what was done. I was asking questions about the buildup I'm doing, and they were very helpful, but very general about their builds. They were more than willing to share things they did that didn't work, and when I told them what my plans were to build a 500hp IDI. The most I could get for recommendations was that I was "definitely on the right track" to achieve it and a few "don'ts" for this engine.

Hope this appeases some curiosity, but if you're like me... it just creates more :)