Died while idleing after long drive

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Ok So I made a 400 mile drive yesterday in about 4degree to -15 degree weather. About 20 miles from my destinaton, I switched to the rear tank and continued with the drive. Upon reaching the city I was going to. I pulled up to a stop light, It started running rough and i fluttered the accelerator a little bit and it kept on going. Next stop light same thing, acted like it was cutting out, and I tried to see if it would idle on its own and it died. Tried to crank it back and it just spun and spun eventually to the battery died. I put the charger on it and ect. I pulled the line from the lift pump to the filter head and tried to crank it. Sufficent fuel flow. Pulled the line off the backside of the filter and spun it. still good fuel flow. Fuel Filter has less than 1000miles on it and is not leaking. All return lines are not leaking. I fueled up before heading out on my trip with 60$ of fuel of winter # 2. I added some diesel kleen and double the mixture on both tanks due to the temps. Well after testing the fuel issue. I know the glow plugs are working. Injectors have about 5,000miles on them. No obvious leaks. I removed the filter and poured the contents into a cup and put a match to it and nothing. Poured it on concrete and put a match to it and nothing. So i towed it to my hotel room and let the batteries charge overnight. before going to bed I added half a bottle of 911 diesel to the front tank (which was almost empty) and half a bottle to the rear tank and added 2 gal of #1 diesel to both tanks. This morning It spun and fired off after I put the pedal to the floor and fluttered it till it would idle on its own. I then drove over and put more #1 diesel in it and went for a drive in the sunny -15 below (-36below W/C) and it drove but seemed to hold back and then it would surge and open up and take off like a bat outta hell. then back to the same thing of holding back. Im hesitant about heading back home today in it till I get some suggestions on what could be going on. Gelled fuel? Not thinking so since its running now. Could it have been bad diesel? I ran 330 miles on one tank with no issues and then 20 miles with the same fuel and had the issues. Bad fuel? Just to cold and the truck is pissed off? Any other ideas? Does the heater in the filter head run 24/7? If so I think mine may not be working all that great. Or should I just add another half a bottle of 911 diesel and fill it up with #1 diesel and drive like a mad man home? Its suppose to be upwards of 20 degrees today. It is -12 here now and 12 degrees where im going and rising to 30. Like i said I am hesitant to drive home because there are areas of 60 - 90 miles with NO houses and NO cell service. Any advice? Or text me at 901 289 2960. or anyone along the way from Miles City, thru Jordan, Lewistown, Great Falls, to Shelby Montana.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the fuel won't light with a match,then heck yea it's bad!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
i dont know mel diesel is really hard to light with a match. sure gasoline will light off a foot away and burn your hair off your knuckles, but I've never had any luck with just pouring diesel on the ground and lighting it.

My guess is your fuel has gelled. If you were running all that time with one tank, the fuel was heated by the engine then returned back to the tank, keeping it warm. When you switched tanks, all that cold fuel in the other tank entered the system and thats when the problems started

RenoF250

Reaction score
i dont know mel diesel is really hard to light with a match. sure gasoline will light off a foot away and burn your hair off your knuckles, but I've never had any luck with just pouring diesel on the ground and lighting it.

My guess is your fuel has gelled. If you were running all that time with one tank, the fuel was heated by the engine then returned back to the tank, keeping it warm. When you switched tanks, all that cold fuel in the other tank entered the system and thats when the problems started

Yeah, now if you let it soak onto the corner of a paper towel and it won't light that is a problem.