Did I get a good deal?

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing I did was add a 1994 Ford Turbo set up I got from Towcat couple years ago. Pyro is needed for any fuel adjustments. My guess 148 or possible 248 by the engine look. The break pedal will show a lot. Corner worn to smooth rubber 100k plus, worn completely to metal on a corner 200k plus. Just a rule of thumb I use when checking any vehicle. Over all if your are handy with mechanics you will have a lot of fun and miles to boot with your new truck. Read this borad most all questions are already posted and answered.
Good or bad. I have 156k on my truck and original pump and injectors. Its getting close to a change-out but sometimes I run some alternate fuels in my truck so I don't want to wear out a new setup until I need to.
I pull some kind of trailer about 60 percent of miles driven love the turbo running 6 psi and 1000 degrees.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:***:

Yeahhhhh... That smells like bullsh*t. PO's will say anything to get their vehicles out the door. I'm fairly confident he rear ended someone, and he combined body panels from a different truck. You should have someone check the frame, just to make sure it ain't tweaked. How does the wear on the tires look?

Post a picture of the brake and accelerator pedal. That'll tell us if you have a 48K truck or a 148K truck.

You posted on the OilBurners forum asking if you got a deal. I'm not going to sugar coat it, but unless that engine bay is as clean as when it drove off the lot in 1986, and there isn't any rust, I wouldn't pay $3K for a 2wd quad cab non-turbo IDI with 148K. Especially if it is running odd, which is inspiring you to replace the IP, injectors, etc. That's a major investment, which if it was time to replace fuel injection parts, it should have brought the price down a bit.

Regardless, should be a fun project truck. IDI's are fun. Hopefully you won't get IDI-Addiction, which starts with a truck, and ends with you having excess engines and vehicles in your garage to the chagrin of your family.
The tires look great other than the inside tire, drivers side, rear. It looks like a belt broke and honestly doesn’t even look like the same size tire. There’s no rust anywhere on the truck. The truck runs fine honestly, I drove it an hour to get it home. For me, I look at changing the injectors and IP as preventative maintenance. I’m already addicted, sold my 2000 PS back in 2010 and have regretted it since.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll love IDI's more than PS. Mechanical, simple, cheap to work on, etc. Get yourself a turbo kit and you'll wake that engine up.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tires look great other than the inside tire, drivers side, rear. It looks like a belt broke and honestly doesn’t even look like the same size tire. There’s no rust anywhere on the truck. The truck runs fine honestly, I drove it an hour to get it home. For me, I look at changing the injectors and IP as preventative maintenance. I’m already addicted, sold my 2000 PS back in 2010 and have regretted it since.

The idiots I bought my truck from did that. I had 5 tires that were 235/85/16 and the passenger inner rear was a 215/85/16. Oh yeah... They hadn't properly torqued it either so the wheel studs had been beaten up. Gotta love stupid people....

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your tire appears to have a broken belt change it pronto.

I have been lucky so far when belts broke on me. Kinda feels like its out of round about 20 mph but goes away when you get above that (might not feel that in a dually). Once I changed a tire that failed and left it in my driveway for about 3 weeks it slowly shredded it self in the busted belt area (under air pressure). I would hate to see you explode your fender flairs if it comes apart at speed.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your tire appears to have a broken belt change it pronto.

I have been lucky so far when belts broke on me. Kinda feels like its out of round about 20 mph but goes away when you get above that (might not feel that in a dually). Once I changed a tire that failed and left it in my driveway for about 3 weeks it slowly shredded it self in the busted belt area (under air pressure). I would hate to see you explode your fender flairs if it comes apart at speed.
Ya, changing that tire is first on my list. Haven’t even been driving it because of that.

pafixitman

Reaction score
A "Good Deal" is nothing more than a state of mind. Having been a "retail automotive consultant" aka car salesman in the past I will tell you that I had deals that were actual losses and a unhappy owner and deals where I cracked someone's head (gross profit pushing 8k) and they were so happy they bought me gift cards for a restaurant.

IMHO, I think you did very good. I happen to like crew duallys, OBS nose and rust free though!

Chances are if you are on this board, it is not because you got a truck cheap and intend on flipping it. Tell your wife, girlfriend, significant other (all 3?) right now that you will spend more time and money on the truck than you will ever recoup. Yep, just get that out of the way now! Slowly go through it and take care of the neglected maintenance items and build it into "your" truck as time and money permits.

Good luck.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I kinda like the hodgepodge mix of parts. OBS front clip, bullnose rest of body, brick steering wheel. The only thing that would drive me nuts is the different wheel arch styles.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I took off air cleaner because I was gonna pull injectors

Be sure you put those injector line clamps on the drivers side back on correctly (if you removed them), otherwise you will be looking at broken injector lines

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A "Good Deal" is nothing more than a state of mind. Having been a "retail automotive consultant" aka car salesman in the past I will tell you that I had deals that were actual losses and a unhappy owner and deals where I cracked someone's head (gross profit pushing 8k) and they were so happy they bought me gift cards for a restaurant.
One time a guy told me that when you're dealing with a car dealership, there's no such thing as a good deal. The best you can hope for is a fair deal.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3k for decent shape that runs and drives? New Cummins with bottom barrel rubber floor mat work truck package in any color so long as it's white is still $35k. Seems good to me.

But definitely turbo/intercool. With good planning you'll be down for a week or two but the truck will be a completely different vehicle.