Did I get a good deal?

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to the OP, I think you got a great deal. Someone was just offering their non turbo 92 for $5,500. In AZ that is a high priced 94 to 98 PSD with mods. Lately, the IDI jumped in value to be on par with those early PSD. Guessing because computer related stuff on PSDs can either scare people on high mileage trucks or they're expensive to fix.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to the OP, I think you got a great deal. Someone was just offering their non turbo 92 for $5,500. In AZ that is a high priced 94 to 98 PSD with mods. Lately, the IDI jumped in value to be on par with those early PSD. Guessing because computer related stuff on PSDs can either scare people on high mileage trucks or they're expensive to fix.

Yeah, that $5500-IDI seller is out of his mind. Don't use that as an example of typical worth.

It's only worth what people are willing to pay for it. He's not going to get over $3000 for that truck, lucky if he exceeds $2000.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in Oklahoma. That state has cleaner trucks and its a short drive to NM and AZ for even cleaner trucks. $3500 is NJ prices.

I think you might be a little low for NJ prices but you'd have to ask @Danielle lol. I know up here (NY) you won't find one that isn't rotted away for less than $1500, 2wd or not. One thing I've noticed is "price" varies all over the country, regardless of "value". I was very close to buying an 85 that was in "decent" shape for $1500 a few years ago. Needed rocker panels and a good bit of love, but was pretty solid overall. It's a good thing I can't find trucks at the prices you southwestern guys can or I'd go broke buying them!

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you might be a little low for NJ prices but you'd have to ask @Danielle lol. I know up here (NY) you won't find one that isn't rotted away for less than $1500, 2wd or not. One thing I've noticed is "price" varies all over the country, regardless of "value". I was very close to buying an 85 that was in "decent" shape for $1500 a few years ago. Needed rocker panels and a good bit of love, but was pretty solid overall. It's a good thing I can't find trucks at the prices you southwestern guys can or I'd go broke buying them!

Maybe I'm a bit spoiled out here in Socal. Regardless, I wouldn't pay more than $2200 for that truck. I see rust free IDI's out here California all the time on Craigslist for less. And the engines are clean too.

audeojude

Reaction score
Here in South Carolina you could easily pay 8,000 or more. I got my 87 6.9 Dually 2wd Crew Cab for 2700 after some pretty intense dickering. Guy misrepresented the condition of the truck on some very visible but easy to fix stuff and just about all the fluids were low. Body and interior were mint though and you could tell that the prior owner treated it like a baby. This guy had it for about 6 months and abused it. It had a reconditioned engine in it with 200000 on the body. Engine sounded like new. He came down 1500 dollars when i pushed him on fluids and and the two front tires that were slick. I had driven 200 miles to look at it after specifically asking him about tire condition and maintenance done. Engine sounded great and test drove good so I pushed price down as much as I could and drove off with it. Drove to the first store I could buy fluids and topped everything up and drove it a couple hundred miles home. with the 6.9 IDI and C6 I got 13MPG. Around the county here, mixed hwy and intown I typically get 11.5 to 12.5 MPG. If I feel like putting my foot in it and acting the fool I get 10.5 to 11mpg. Over first year I upgraded alternator, replaced batteries, replaced radiator, put seals and one new brake cylinder on rear. about a grand in parts and work.

I always have fun when i get to talking with someone thats into trucks and tell them what I got it for. Pretty much a used diesel truck of any kind here starts at 8 or 9 grand and quickly goes up from there. I had been keeping an eye out for a while before I found this one and was always disgusted when I would see the prices on the trucks on the west coast, it just wasn't fair that that all those trucks I wanted and could actually afford were almost 4 thousand miles away.

Only irritating thing is it's an old truck and you have to deal with little **** on a fairly consistent basis. I probably have to fix stuff around the edges once or twice a year. Right now I have to fix the leak in the fuel system that is pulling air, a window motor or switch and the wiper motor. Drive train is solid as a rock though and engine cranks like a champ even If I let it sit for a few months between uses. Actually let it sit for 8 months once waiting for me to fix the radiator. Just took me a while to get to get to it. Truck crank first time no issues, no smoke, just smooth.

At some point I am going to set it up to run some sort of alternative fuel, veg oil, filtered motor oil etc.. Thinking motor oil as I have access to all the free motor oil I could want, couple hundred gallons a month if I wanted it. I ever get that set up and I will probably make it my primary vehicle :)

I've had it about 4 years now and over all love it. With my budget I couldn't afford a big diesel truck period nor to do maintenance or repairs on a newer one. I have a friend that had a decent 2000 ish chevy diesel truck and he had to replace the injector pump.. Cost more for the part than I paid for my truck in total plus several years of maintenance.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in South Carolina you could easily pay 8,000 or more. I got my 87 6.9 Dually 2wd Crew Cab for 2700 after some pretty intense dickering. Guy misrepresented the condition of the truck on some very visible but easy to fix stuff and just about all the fluids were low. Body and interior were mint though and you could tell that the prior owner treated it like a baby. This guy had it for about 6 months and abused it. It had a reconditioned engine in it with 200000 on the body. Engine sounded like new. He came down 1500 dollars when i pushed him on fluids and and the two front tires that were slick. I had driven 200 miles to look at it after specifically asking him about tire condition and maintenance done. Engine sounded great and test drove good so I pushed price down as much as I could and drove off with it. Drove to the first store I could buy fluids and topped everything up and drove it a couple hundred miles home. with the 6.9 IDI and C6 I got 13MPG. Around the county here, mixed hwy and intown I typically get 11.5 to 12.5 MPG. If I feel like putting my foot in it and acting the fool I get 10.5 to 11mpg. Over first year I upgraded alternator, replaced batteries, replaced radiator, put seals and one new brake cylinder on rear. about a grand in parts and work.

I always have fun when i get to talking with someone thats into trucks and tell them what I got it for. Pretty much a used diesel truck of any kind here starts at 8 or 9 grand and quickly goes up from there. I had been keeping an eye out for a while before I found this one and was always disgusted when I would see the prices on the trucks on the west coast, it just wasn't fair that that all those trucks I wanted and could actually afford were almost 4 thousand miles away.

Only irritating thing is it's an old truck and you have to deal with little **** on a fairly consistent basis. I probably have to fix stuff around the edges once or twice a year. Right now I have to fix the leak in the fuel system that is pulling air, a window motor or switch and the wiper motor. Drive train is solid as a rock though and engine cranks like a champ even If I let it sit for a few months between uses. Actually let it sit for 8 months once waiting for me to fix the radiator. Just took me a while to get to get to it. Truck crank first time no issues, no smoke, just smooth.

At some point I am going to set it up to run some sort of alternative fuel, veg oil, filtered motor oil etc.. Thinking motor oil as I have access to all the free motor oil I could want, couple hundred gallons a month if I wanted it. I ever get that set up and I will probably make it my primary vehicle :)

I've had it about 4 years now and over all love it. With my budget I couldn't afford a big diesel truck period nor to do maintenance or repairs on a newer one. I have a friend that had a decent 2000 ish chevy diesel truck and he had to replace the injector pump.. Cost more for the part than I paid for my truck in total plus several years of maintenance.
Here in FL, there’s guys getting 15k or more for OBS powerstrokes in good shape with under 200k miles. Crazy.

audeojude

Reaction score
I have a friend that has a house in florida and he tells me you can pick up nice trucks, cars and boats there for peanuts. Says rich retire dies or just gets old and can't use nice toys anymore and family sells them for steep discounts just to settle estate etc.. He told me that you just have to watch craigslist or keep your ear to the ground to get a deal on stuff. 400 to 900 miles away for me depending on what part of florida so a bit much of a drive to check something out.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that has a house in florida and he tells me you can pick up nice trucks, cars and boats there for peanuts. Says rich retire dies or just gets old and can't use nice toys anymore and family sells them for steep discounts just to settle estate etc.. He told me that you just have to watch craigslist or keep your ear to the ground to get a deal on stuff. 400 to 900 miles away for me depending on what part of florida so a bit much of a drive to check something out.
You can definitely pick up vehicles dirt cheap but when it comes to Powerstrokes, not so much

You must be registered for see images attach

These are from a search I just did

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, those prices are ridiculous. I wonder what they actually get.

According to the kbb iny area a 1997 that has an average 168k miles, 4x4, super cab, lifted, in excellent shape is $7,600 avg price.

audeojude

Reaction score
I have to wonder also. I have seen some very over priced adds on craigslist. I think asking prices are really high so that they can let someone talk them down a lot to feel good about what a great price they got. I'm not sure how well that works as I would never even bother calling at that price. If something is priced near High end dealer NADA, KBB or Edmunds I figure the people are serious about selling and have built a bit in to bargain a bit. When it goes to the ridicules I just don't bother. I have seen some real high prices asked but it was also explained such as lots of refurbishment with better than factory options. Such as upgraded transmissions, new engines, full body work and paint job, winches, 4x4, turbo and 2 speed rear axles. I see some of those for double or triple the normal pricing and can easily see them getting it. But those are normally not work vehicles but someones toy/show vehicle. It looks and is conditioned as if it just came factory new with all the goodies every lover of trucks dreamed about but the manufacture never did even as an option :)

NADA says my truck is 5000 in value, KBB and EDMUNDS no longer list vehicles that old. Looking at ones for sale I'm currently seeing 4000 to 8000 and only a handful nation wide on autotrader Just damn..... I guess since I purchased mine it has moved into the classic car range range. I'm feeling old.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idi market is in a weird place right now. Many people are still holding onto the idea that these are all just cheap trucks, when now they are getting into the classic market. I’ve bought and sold many of these trucks, and there values are only going up. There’s a reason why this year I have bought much less parts trucks than in the past, even non running, parts only trucks are going for good money in my area.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idi market is in a weird place right now. Many people are still holding onto the idea that these are all just cheap trucks, when now they are getting into the classic market. I’ve bought and sold many of these trucks, and there values are only going up. There’s a reason why this year I have bought much less parts trucks than in the past, even non running, parts only trucks are going for good money in my area.

Totally agree. Compared to what these cost in the 2008 to 2011 era. Plus, at that time, everyone had a hard-on Cummins and these blocks were almost free. On Dodges, none are around because the motor lasted but not was surrounded it - or someone already ripped the motor out and junked the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online