Did I get a good deal?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imho, that's some awful advice to give a newb with no equipment on checking spray pattern or parts injectors to canibalize springs and shims from.
Injectiors on these motors are essentially a calibrated pressure relief valve. there's really no magic happening other than they perform best as a batch popping off at a consistent pressure and with the same pattern. no other magic happening there. the problem enters when the rebuilder is only concerned with cleaning up the parts and putting them back together to perform under general minimum guidelines. Unless the rebuilder is putting in new needles and nozzles(those are the wear items), you are throwing away money. currently who is doing that? Typ4(Russ), R&D, and maybe Conestoga(unconfirmed) are the only ones doing so. How do you know? the price would be a great indicator. The magic happens with the injection pump and that is why they should be replaced together at the same time. So, is it a good idea to change out a pump and injectors if you don't have issues? depends. key thing is your fuel mileage. anything close to 10mpg is a clear indicator you have pump and maybe injector problems. you can still be running smooth and have ****** mileage from an old pump. rough idle and rough operation are also urgent indicators of replacement. start with a mileage check from a few fillups to use as a baseline and a pic under the hood to show us ithe condition of the motor will help greatly too.
good luck :D
I was offering to go through his injectors for him, guess that wasn’t apparent.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say it was a good deal. Price and desirability varies all over the board. That being said, I paid $3500 for mine and yours LOOKS like it's in better shape than mine was. At the end of the day, I was happy with mine at the price I paid. I'd be equally happy in your shoes.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It was to me. I saw where you said that you can clean them and pop test them. Towcat also missed where the truck is a 1986 so it's a Bullnose, not a Bricknose. Another thing. A CC dually with a C6 transmission may not do a lot better than 10MPG. To the OP, Why is there an overdrive emblem on your tailgate. It looks like one that came on a 1992 and up truck. I think that maybe the tailgate was also changed out.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
post a pic of the underhood condition.
btw.....you're not the only Bricknose truck now wearing a OBS nose :D

You must be registered for see images attach

But... That's a bullnose dash. :p

I had to read it a second time. I had read "you can pull them and reset the pressures" I missed the part about you doing the rework. Perhaps @towcat did as well.

Edit:
Thanks @IDIBRONCO for beating me to the punch lol

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah no worries, Calvin’s a very busy guy always runnin! If you cover the shipping, I’ll happily clean the injectors up and pop test them for no charge. They may not need any more work than that, and you’ll have a clean bill of health so you don’t have to worry about that as an issue

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I took off air cleaner because I was gonna pull injectors
the return lines look like they have been replaced not too long ago. hard telling if the injectors are original. if you are going to open up your motor, make sure it is well covered up from rain since you now will have 8 water entry points plus the intake to worry about.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like it is a Bullnose, looking at the dash.

That's a bullnose tailgate, an OBS nose and a Brick steering wheel (more than likely, the entire column).....

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like it is a Bullnose, looking at the dash.

That's a bullnose tailgate, an OBS nose and a Brick steering wheel (more than likely, the entire column).....
So you think it’s not the original dash or tailgate?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
So you think it’s not the original dash or tailgate?

No, just the opposite. Since this truck is an 86, the Bullnose ran from 80-86 with 83-86 for the IDI, that is the original dash and more than likely the original tailgate. If it's not the original tailgate, it is an 80-86 Bullnose tailgate.

The steering wheel is a Bricknose steering wheel 87-91.

The front clip is and OBS clip 92-97

So yes Cal @towcat a bit of a Johnny Cash......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, just the opposite. Since this truck is an 86, the Bullnose ran from 80-86 with 83-86 for the IDI, that is the original dash and more than likely the original tailgate. If it's not the original tailgate, it is an 80-86 Bullnose tailgate.

the nice part is from 1980 to 1998, they somehow will bolt together. :D

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh ok, thanks for the info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online