Did I get a good deal?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys seeing this influx in IDI prices? Yeah, a few CL ads with exorbitant prices doesn't mean they sell. I've been getting IDI parts and vehicles VERY cheap cuz the sellers say they can't find anyone to buy them.

I'm reminded of the guy who tried to sell a 4wd IDI van turbo for $16K on ebay. IIRC, he went down to 14K, then 12K, then 10K, then 8.5K, then $6k. I don't even know if he sold it at $6000 or if he just stopped trying to sell it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys seeing this influx in IDI prices? Yeah, a few CL ads with exorbitant prices doesn't mean they sell. I've been getting IDI parts and vehicles VERY cheap cuz the sellers say they can't find anyone to buy them.

I'm reminded of the guy who tried to sell a 4wd IDI van turbo for $16K on ebay. IIRC, he went down to 14K, then 12K, then 10K, then 8.5K, then $6k. I don't even know if he sold it at $6000 or if he just stopped trying to sell it.
Cali market is a whole other animal... cost and politics of owning an older vehicle seems to be much more than most other markets. Especially if there’s back taxes due for past registrations it can bring the value of a vehicle down a lot where in most places that wouldn’t be an issue. Keep in mind I have never lived in Cali, and this is just an interpretation of what I have been told, and read here. I can only speak definitively on my local market, and like many others have seen, there’s been a consistent rise in prices over the last decade. :)

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is definitely a culture of elitism here where most people "must have" some kind of spiffy new plastic POS, cuz it makes them feel better about themselves, even though it puts them in increasing debt. Perception of wealth apparently trumps actual savings.

I come from Northern Wisconsin, so I'm not ashamed to have a 30 year old van and 20 year old car. I like working on them myself. It saves money and I learn something new each time. But here, in my west-coast circle of friends, I have only one or two guys that do their own wrenching.

I guess that means a rust-free IDI goes cheap. Good knowledge for you guys out east if you are looking for parts or a vehicle.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There is definitely a culture of elitism here where most people "must have" some kind of spiffy new plastic POS, cuz it makes them feel better about themselves, even though it puts them in increasing debt. Perception of wealth apparently trumps actual savings.
That was so well said. I feel exactly the same way.

Jimmy Stewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not saying there’s not deals to be had here in FL but most of the PS you find here that are in halfway good shape are over 7k. You’d be hard pressed to find a 4x4 for under 10k. Most are 12-15k.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in, from what I've seen here in nor Cal, idi prices haven't budged much for idis and good deals are around. IMHO new plastic and the tuner diesel crowd has premium prices focused on the Duramax/Cummins/ps trucks running stupid wide 20"wheels and street tires with a 8" exhaust tip . No one works on these old workhorses here anymore and fewer are those willing to invest the time and effort to own and maintain one. I do see a few nice obs powerstroke trucks here but are usually listed for 10k plus .
Case in point, this just popped up on CL here.
84 f250 - 6.9 idi single cab / manual trans -$1500
https://redding.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-ford-fdiesel/6699549053.html

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is definitely a culture of elitism here

Lol! Half of them advertise their commercial diesel trucks (dt360s, 466s, 3208s, Detroit 71, 53, list goes on) in AZ trying to get full value as if we don't know they can't even register those trucks in CA so these guys are stuck taking cents on the dollar for what they would be worth. I feel bad for them but you can rake Californians over the coals on their unregisterable trucks.

Last edited:

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You speak the truth there @gerlbaum . I drive by a maintenence yard for one of the schools districts here every day.. they have a grave yard of old busses decommissioned from service for that very reason. Plenty of rigs with dt360s and 466s just sitting waiting to be auctioned off.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol! Half of them advertise their commercial diesel trucks (dt360s, 466s, 3208s, Detroit 71, 53, list goes on) in AZ trying to get full value as if we don't know they can't even register those trucks in CA so these guys are stuck taking cents on the dollar for what they would be worth. I feel bad for them but you can rake Californians over the coals on their unregisterable trucks.

If you are talking about commercial use trucks, then yes, the DMV fees are atrocious. But I don't know about why it would be hard to register a non-commercial truck in CA? I think my van is just a $80-some yearly fee.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about commercial use trucks, then yes, the DMV fees are atrocious. But I don't know about why it would be hard to register a non-commercial truck in CA? I think my van is just a $80-some yearly fee.

Yeah, just commercial and may be limited to operations in LA county - I'm not sure. But don't confuse a registration fee with what it takes to be compliant to even register. A lot of shippers charge extra to ship to CA because commercial diesel trucks are required to be retrofitted with particulate filters which costs a ton so they pass the cost on to the consumer. It's either retrofit an older diesel and that almost costs the same as just buying a new diesel. Google "CA diesel retrofit law" - some samples below. And yes CA does this retroactively.

I think most counties outside LA county have been able to fight it off, but not sure for how long - clearly CA is not conducive to diesels. If you look at AZ Craigslist they always have ads from Californian companies trying to dump their diesels they can't register or too expensive to retrofit on the Craigslist - especially near the CA/AZ border farming towns.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/141917...r-stricter-diesel-truck-emissions-regulations

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-california-diesel-truck-penalties-estes-20151008-story.html?outputType=amp

From CARB:

Any person residing in California selling a vehicle with an engine subject to this regulation must provide the following disclosure in writing to the buyer on the bill of sale, sales contract addendum, or invoice, “An on-road heavy-duty diesel or alternative-diesel vehicle operated in California may be subject to the California Air Resources Board Regulation to Reduce Particulate Matter and Criteria Pollutant Emissions from In-Use Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles. It therefore could be subject to exhaust retrofit or accelerated turnover requirements to reduce emissions of air pollutants. For more information, please visit the California Air Resources Board website athttp://www.arb.ca.gov/dieseltruck.”

Any vehicle with a 1996 or newer engine may be bought and sold in California provided the disclosure requirement is met. However, the vehicle cannot be operated until it has been retrofitted with a PM filter. A retrofit can be installed on a vehicle with a 1996 or newer engine at any time before its replacement date. Once a PM filter is installed, the vehicle needs not be reported unless the owner is using flexibility compliance option to comply or wants to get a compliance certificate. Owner who owns the truck and installs a PM filter on or before January 1, 2014 and reported by January 31, 2015 will get an extension to use the truck to January 1, 2023. Vehicle that is purchased or retrofitted after January 1, 2014 must meet the Model Year replacement schedule.

Last edited:

audeojude

Reaction score
Couple things going on.

I think the first and biggest is that it is one of the most inexpensive diesel's to work on/repair.

The huge increase in the cost of a diesel truck new over the last decade

The huge number of people making less money or the same money that is worth less

and it all adds up to these becoming more valuable to people with less money. Honestly over the last decade almost all used car prices have risen significantly as a lot of people financially have been pushed out of the new car market.

LoganS

Reaction score
New guy here but i’ll put down my recent experience. In the Craigslist area I’m in right now there are only 4 idis posted. 2 with utilitie beds for $3k. One f250 single cab for 3k and one crew cab dually for parts. All four are 2 wheel drive. Out here the rust kills these old trucks unless someone really takes care of them. I had to go out of state to find mine, after a 3 week search. And if a decent one gets posted locally it’s gone in a day unless it’s priced over 5k then it might take 3-4 days. So to the op, if your area is like mine then you got a deal, especially if you’re happy with it, that’s whats really important I think.

audeojude

Reaction score
There are 0 IDI's in my area right now on craigslist or any nearby areas. Once in a while I will see 1 but that's about it. Locally very rare. Went 200 miles to get mine when I got it and even that was rare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86