Dana 60 camber--live with it or try adjust/shim/?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All other things being equal, won't the difference in caster (+4.4 vs. +4.1) cause a slight pull?

That's what an alignment guy told me. I don't know if the above difference is enough, but the caster needs to be as close as possible side to side.

I did not realize what they were doing with caster till I put my truck up on a lift with the roller plates on it. I took one of the tie rods loose, and the whole frontend of the truck dropped and the front wheels splayed outward. I had to actually jack the front of the truck back up to get the tie rod back in place. I did not realize they were lifting the whole truck up with the front end alignment, but I read up on it and the caster is the main culprit for this.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. Looks like a KP rebuild might be the call and I will see what the shop says about the caster difference.

Black dawg

Reaction score
It's the tilt of the road, right?:rolleyes:-Lame
Most all vehicles are built with slightly more caster on the right side, otherwise they will pull to the right on a crowned road. I have yet to have a ford with a kp 60 that actually had more caster on the right.....all of mine have pulled to the right....some tires worse than others

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. Looks like a KP rebuild might be the call and I will see what the shop says about the caster difference.

First off, I'd say your alignments specs are reasonable. The minimal caster difference isn't great enough to worry about.

I would check into the upper kingpins specifically. The nylon cups wear and the springs get weak. Some people shim them up with a few big washers. Its not especially difficult or costly to address this.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/D60kingpinspring-bushing.htm

The thing is you can have good static alignment. But once you're moving, bouncing, cornering, etc. weak (under-tensioned) kingpins aren't maintaining the alignment the shop measured.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online