Dana 60 camber--live with it or try adjust/shim/?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know quite a few threads exist regarding this subject and I am reading them but I wanted to get an opinion from y'all here. Recently got new tires and found my truck pulled to the right so I went in for an alignment today and found my driver side camber was just out of spec(assuming the specs the shop gave me were accurate). Driver side camber is positive 0.9 degrees and passenger is positive 0.7. The range for camber listed on the printout is -0.3 to +0.8. My previous front tires were nearly bald on the outside edges while the inside edge was still meaty and I want to make my new tires last. Even the passenger side, which is barely within spec, had significant outer edge wear

Before the alignment I replaced the bushing and spring on the upper kingpin hoping it would cure the situation but no such luck. The upper kingpin itself looked fine with no visible signs of wear and the bushing had little wear on it too.

Would a worn lower kingpin assembly contribute to the positive camber?
Is there an aftermarket shim or something that corrects only about 1/2 degree?
Maybe a 1 ton "Road Warrior" style front bumper to help things zero out?

Or just run it and rotate slightly more often, which was the advice the alignment shop gave me.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the shop say the kingpins are worn? You can jack the truck up and grab the tire at 12 o clock and 6 o clock and try to wiggle it and check for play.

What was the caster? The caster being different side to side will cause it to pull. The camber being out will cause outside or inside tire wear.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ this. I was going to say check the toe. If it’s cupping at all could be toe.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
lower being worn out will cause inside tire wear.
outer wear is incorrect tie rod settings OR too much caster.
I started thinking about that after. Would that go for a dually and a single?
But OTOH, if someone were running aftermarket wheels, I guess all bets are off. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the shop say the kingpins are worn? You can jack the truck up and grab the tire at 12 o clock and 6 o clock and try to wiggle it and check for play.

What was the caster? The caster being different side to side will cause it to pull. The camber being out will cause outside or inside tire wear.

Shop did NOT say kingpins were worn. They looked good when I replaced bushing/spring.
Caster was 4.4 drivers side, 4.1 passenger

Toe was out of spec on drivers side +0.24(range -0.10 to +0.16) passenger side was +0.08. Shop adjusted drivers to -0.01, passenger to -0.02

And even after the alignment the truck still pulls a bit to the right.
Total toe was +0.31 and shop adjusted to -0.03

No aftermarket wheels--stock steelies

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford and other OEM's do not sell cars with a noticeable pull in the steering. In my neck of the woods I take the truck to the shop and tell them I have a pull to the left or the right. They test drive it, confirm what I am talking about, and then they fix it.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All other things being equal, won't the difference in caster (+4.4 vs. +4.1) cause a slight pull?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just rebuild the whole kingpin it's not too hard to do, I had to replace the top metal piece that the plastic bushing rides on so I just did the whole thing and haven't looked back, tires no longer how any uneven wear and I've never had it aligned yet. All steering parts also good shape though