Cutting exhaust pipe RE: H. Turbo install

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
would it be safe to prematurely cut off my exhaust just past the Y before I start installing the new pipes from Hypermax. I am not clear as to how far the supplied exhaust extension will take me. The studs up there are 20 years rusted and I want try and take care not impact off the studs and break them.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I could use a little extra room under the truck as I will try and use a manual Johnson bar after spraying them with Penetrating Fluid . Thanks

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
would it be safe to prematurely cut off my exhaust just past the Y before I start installing the new pipes from Hypermax. I am not clear as to how far the supplied exhaust extension will take me. The studs up there are 20 years rusted and I want try and take care not impact off the studs and break them.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I could use a little extra room under the truck as I will try and use a manual Johnson bar after spraying them with Penetrating Fluid . Thanks

why would it hurt anythin gto cut up your old pipe?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are better off impacting them, the shock does wonders, soak the heck out of them a few times then go for it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
yea it is also really tight under there i didnt even try unbolting them on one truck that i changed headgaskets on cause they were to rusty, so i cut the y pipe and pulled the heads out then it was easy to get to the bolts and get them out all i had to do was pach the exhaust back up lol

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit it with an impact, Mine came off for the first time in 25 years and Everything was ok. They are 7/16'' studs so they shouldn't break

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
good penetrating oil and an easy touch with the impact. I got mine out after 20 years or so and they even went back on. If they do break let me know, I have a few manifolds and I could likely ship you some if need be.

If you cut your exhaust at the y you will be fine, the extension goes well past it and you will have to cut more later, MAKE SURE to use the sleeve clamp at the down pipe connections and the "u" clamp at the downpipe to exhaust. I wasnt paying attention after 20 some hours and mixed them up, NOW my down pip is one piece and a MAJOR pain to work around.

punk

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Even iff you break a stud off, you can always remove the manifold and drill out the remains and retap it. but if you soak it overnight with Kroil, it should pop right off with an impact.
What's more apt to happen is the nut will be frozen to the stud and take the stud out with it. THe manifold it tapped for an interferance fit stud, but you can just run a bolt in there if you can't find a proper size replacement stud

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soak the nuts, then heat them as best you can before you use the impact, they should come off no problem. Heat is your friend when it comes to rusty bolts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matjonbak

Staff online