Cursed- leaking fuel behind ip pump... replace?

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
i assume a hidden ip leak is from bad bushings or seals, and i should just replace it with a better ip.

How long can i expect a pump r&r to take?

What would be good replacement pump for my 7.3 idiT. It has 200000 miles. I just got a ww2, and ill be running a 3 inch exhaust elbow and downpipe very soon. I tow an 8000 boat around big hills...

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure that it's leaking from the pump and not from either the fitting on the back of the pump or the olive on the hard line that attaches there? I'd try using an inspection mirror to determine where the leak is coming from before buying a new pump.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
With a mirror and a flashlight I still can't tell where it's coming from. My engine is spotless, so it's easy to see the wet spot, but i cant see the source.
It is wet on the passenger side, very front of the pump, and almost looks like a coolant leak from the upper radiator hose fitting.... but it's fuel.

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you replaced the water pump recently?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1, looking for Leaks on a freshly degreased eng. Is a lot easker.
2 average life for ip\inj. Is 1- 125k .
Ip leaks are not common.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
The bottom of the pump is wet, all of the fittings are dry. Fuel is dribbling from the bottom of the pump down around the cover to the front of the engine.
Best I can tell it looks like it's coming from the area of a ********* Bolt with a dimple in the middle... there is a plunger doohickey on a similar Bolt on the driver side.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a piece of folded paper towel there; you can pinpoint it exactly.
Chances are it might need a new seal/replaced. Seal kits are available cheap if that's all that's wrong.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think agnem (mel) did a sticky on the weep hole leak, bottom ?front? Of i.p.

Last edited:

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Thank you, the weep hole definitely looks like it could be the problem. I assumed it was something like that actually. I gave it a good stem bath, maybe ill be able to pinpoint better tomorrow.

It certainly looks like the pump must come off to fix anything. Doesn't look too hard to do, and If its coming off with 200000 miles, i imagine it makes sense to replace it. Really its not too frustrating, i know i need more pump to make it run with the big dogs anyhow. But i had planned to spend my money on the turbo and exhaust for now. I guess plans change..

But it might not be the weep hole...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the front passenger side is where the cover comes off to turn the pump fueling up or down. Have you verified it's not leaking from there?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this engine was previously dry, and this leak just started out of no where, then it probably is not something that got loose. How many miles are on the pump? How long since it was installed? There are seals that do dry out and some that I can guide you through replacing with the pump in place if it is one of the possible candidates. Best way to find the leak is to dry it off as best you can, and then wrap a dry blue shop towel around the bottom, run it for a minute and slide the rag out to see if you can find the source. The weep hole, the advance piston pin, and the throttle shaft seals are the most likely candidates. The weep hole is a dead end. That takes a new pump to fix. The other two can be managed if done carefully. If it is the advance pin, I sell a repair kit for that. Throttle shaft seal is pretty rare, but it could be done in a pinch.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
There is no indication that it has ever been changed out, so I assume it is original. 200,000 miles. It was previously dry, and I keep my engine spotless. I smelled it, opened the hood and spotted fuel right away. I steamed it clean, and after I get out to pick up some blue shop towels, I'll run it for a bit and take a look...

Thank you to all who are helping out. I don't know these engines well, and don't have the time to devote to reading old posts and what not- so your advice is truly invaluable!