Cup holders

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The newer one got its first replacement one at 220 has 230 on it now. I think those 68RFE’s are built far superior to any of the old four-speeds. The 01 has a 48 RE instead of the original 47, but it still blows through them really fast, and makes less power…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The newer one got its first replacement one at 220 has 230 on it now. I think those 68RFE’s are built far superior to any of the old four-speeds. The 01 has a 48 RE instead of the original 47, but it still blows through them really fast, and makes less power…
Ohhh, I forgot to say cupholders…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My bad… but it has overrun
Not yet it hasn't. I haven't got my shifter mounted cup holder in yet!
This is why you don’t buy a Dodge. Cupholders fall down.
Well it's not the only reason you don't buy a Dodge, but yes, Dodge interiors are junk from my experience.
Has like 260 something and its on its fifth transmission
No surprise there. Now this has been over 10 years ago, but I know a local farmer who had a '08 (I think) Dodge with a Cummins. I was told that it didn't quite have 100,000 miles on it and it was on it's 3rd transmission. He didn't really care because he traded trucks every two years anyway. With a Dodge, it's A LOT cheaper to do that and still have it covered by the warranty.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not yet it hasn't. I haven't got my shifter mounted cup holder in yet!

Well it's not the only reason you don't buy a Dodge, but yes, Dodge interiors are junk from my experience.
Yes, lol you need your shifter cupholder.

Yeah, dodge interiors really plasticky and pretty crappy. However, I’m stupid enough that I restored the one in my 2000. But I keep the dash under a cover to protect it from the sun, and the seats under cover too to protect them from being worn down. Take the covers off and vacuum and wipe down the dash, and it looks like new. Probably more trouble than it was worth, but oh well.

The early 68RFE’s were not so great, but they updated the chef computer in 2010, the ones after that are not so bad… and I guess that farmer would’ve been under warranty up to 100,000 miles anyway, so I guess I don’t know why he would be bothered. 6.7s make pretty good power, especially in that era before they made the accelerator pedals stupid. In the 2013-2018 trucks, at halfway to the floor, just as well be not on the accelerator at all. And in the 2019-present trucks, if you push it to the floor really fast, it just stops accelerating for about 2 1/2 seconds, and then roars away. But if you don’t push it down super fast, then the truck itself will go pretty fast. Chrysler engineers are morons. I hates them.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, lol you need your shifter cupholder.

Yeah, dodge interiors really plasticky and pretty crappy. However, I’m stupid enough that I restored the one in my 2000. But I keep the dash under a cover to protect it from the sun, and the seats under cover too to protect them from being worn down. Take the covers off and vacuum and wipe down the dash, and it looks like new. Probably more trouble than it was worth, but oh well.

The early 68RFE’s were not so great, but they updated the chef computer in 2010, the ones after that are not so bad… and I guess that farmer would’ve been under warranty up to 100,000 miles anyway, so I guess I don’t know why he would be bothered. 6.7s make pretty good power, especially in that era before they made the accelerator pedals stupid. In the 2013-2018 trucks, at halfway to the floor, just as well be not on the accelerator at all. And in the 2019-present trucks, if you push it to the floor really fast, it just stops accelerating for about 2 1/2 seconds, and then roars away. But if you don’t push it down super fast, then the truck itself will go pretty fast. Chrysler engineers are morons. I hates them.
Or maybe it is Cummins engineers? :dunno

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Or maybe it is Cummins engineers? :dunno
Nah that's all Chrysler. Cummins provides the bare block and engine, after 2007 it's all Chrysler computers and harness. Part of the reason we don't have them come into work, cause we can't connect to them -Flame Thr

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a very good friend who now lives in Texas that when we were in Atlanta worked for Chrysler corporate. We're talking 1996-2007.

For a while he was the last guy to see your vehicle before a lemon law claim was accepted after every other resource was exhausted.

He was near 90% success rate.

I have it on good authority from his mouth the Dodge transmissions during that time were ****.

They decided it was cheaper to replace the ones that went bad then to pay up front for a better unit.

But amazingly, the cupholders in at least 99.9% of Dodges worked satisfactorily.

So they had that going for them, which is nice.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the Dodge transmissions during that time were....
I imagine that transmission shops were busy during that time....

Until the 'fearless leaders' wrecked the economy...

That reminds me...one dodge mini-van that had a FWD unit in it...the owner told me that...if I could not fix it for under 2000 bucks...he was going to park it in the back yard...yank the doors offa it and use it for a dog house...

Yeah, right...

I don't remember fixing it...the guy might not have brought it in because I was not going to lock into any price sight unseen...it could have had an absolutely trashed geartrain..or busted case...and 2k for doing one of those AND giving a 3 YR unlimited mileage warranty...was not going to happen...too much time, materials, and responsibility...

I never got a chance to check out his cupholders...

The FWD ovd. units those had....the final drive carrier had a cross shaft held in with a fragile solid pin...the pin would break and the cross shaft would come out and whack a big hole in the case...

So...in order to fix it...ya gotta find a good case...and then set up the bearing clearances for the output shaft...transfer shaft...and final drive...and you have to have a set of different thickness shims for each setup...as well as possibly buying new bearings...

It all cascades into more than what you could anticipate...and you can't stay in business and provide a service if you find yourself PAYING people for the 'privilege' of touching their automobile...

I was just learning how to weld back then...OJT...not formal training...so...I had a guy that knew what he was doing to weld the pin to the carrier after I prepped it.

No chance that effer will come out after I handled it....

Come to think of it...would have been nice if the manufacturers had provided a cupholder for mechanics under the hood...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@XOLATEM even for people that have money will do that. When I was in trade school, thus guy I went with was getting a full run sponsored by his grandparents. He managed to let him take this old geo metro 3 banger that was in their back yard, and he fixed it up and drove it all over Arizona.
As soon as he took it home, they popped the doors open and used it as a dog house. Perfectly running car. Just didn't care.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfectly running car. Just didn't care.
The guy that spearheaded the group that eventually became the Auto Union car company....(Audi)...his name was Horch...

When he retired...his people built a unique car for him...best of everything...

That was before WW2...

When a US general got ahold of the car...he had it shipped to Texas...and it sat outside in the desert for years...until someone found it and realized what it was....

I think it was loaned back to Audi...to be put in their museum...

So...the Audi people thought about restoring it back to original condition...but then thought better of it...and left it on display just how it was found...it was nicknamed...'The Rattlesnake Car'...

Maybe I can find a picture of it...give me a minute...

The last article states their intentions to restore the car....but that was 2008...I saw the car in rough shape in 2018...so...I doubt if it has been restored...

The Germans wanted to make a statement about other peoples values...

Oh, yeah...I did not notice if the car had any cupholders...but I did notice another vehicle on display that had clamps and cups to carry four rifles...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They decided it was cheaper to replace the ones that went bad then to pay up front for a better unit.
That sounds exactly like Dodge thinking. replace one junk part with another instead of making something better.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive rural routes for FedEx ground. I've seen every cool car ever made soaking into the ground in people's back yards. Fastback mustangs from the late 60s, murcury cougars with grills and headlight covers, 69 dodge chargers, all sorts of stuff...... TRUCKS!!! My saying is that if you live north county you gotta have a fox body mustang and 86 Chevy short bed rusting into the earth or your not a local. If you ask about them, the guy will saw, "yeah, I got a 673ci hemi/Windsor/lt-1/Godzilla motor I'm building for it, just ordered bushings for the front end and fuzzy dice". The curious thing about most of those cars is that they removed the cupholders to preserve them in a climate controlled area......it's genius really.

Last edited: