Cummins in an 84 chevy 3/4 ton Silverado?

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: Has anybody done this conversion? My son has this truck with a gas engine, 350 I think, and would like to make a project truck. He is interested in a standard tranny. I'm sure the extra weight of the engine would require bigger springs on the front. Don't know about the electrics or the mounting of the engine. The truck is a two wheel drive, long bed, std. cab, with everything heavy duty on it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I've seen a couple Gen1's in GM pickups, but always in 1-ton's. I suppose one could substitute front springs spec'd for a 1-ton, big-block truck.

I will say this: A Cummins is a tight fit, front to back. My Crossbreed is a GMC body on a Dodge chassis, and there is no room for an engine driven fan. It might be worse, if it wasn't for the skinny little downflow Dodge radiator.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seen it done many a time...but i'm not fond of the non intercooled engines, and dont like removing the intercooler to make it fit. we just made all the a/c lines and wiring for a guy who stuffed a 12v 2nd gen in a 93 chevy flatbed. the a/c lines werent a huge deal..we make them in shop and put whatever fittings we need, the wiring is simple, but removing the intercooler makes it smoke alot more. dont ask me why, it just billows smoke.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PackRat said:
I've seen a couple Gen1's in GM pickups, but always in 1-ton's. I suppose one could substitute front springs spec'd for a 1-ton, big-block truck.

I will say this: A Cummins is a tight fit, front to back. My Crossbreed is a GMC body on a Dodge chassis, and there is no room for an engine driven fan. It might be worse, if it wasn't for the skinny little downflow Dodge radiator.

How heavy is the 1st gen engine? Sounds like this would be more trouble than it's worth.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your up for swapping an engine, changing a pair of springs is a walk in the park.
as for the engine weight...full engine with accesories weighs 1150 lbs.
a 454 weighs 675 lbs with aluminum intake and no accesories.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That weight is not as much as I thought it would be. Should not be too much trouble to do this. Did somebody say that the first gen is not intercooled? Is this about the only big difference from this series to the next? I have no experience with the Dodge. Also, when do they become electronic?

beebelawn

Reaction score
a 4bt would also be a good conversion and wouldnt require as much room.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance