Crewcab Project

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the injectors under the driverside valve cover have melted electrical plugs.
You must be registered for see images attach

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heads will be at machine shop for at least four weeks. While I'm waiting one of the projects will be cleaning up underside of the cab. Lucky for me this truck spent most of it's life in Tenn. Rust isn't too bad. I'll wire brush everything and paint with por15.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two weeks into a 4 to 6 week wait for the return of my heads from machine shop, so I'm cleaning parts. Here's a few. Degreaser, wire brush, then media blast. Next will be acid wash then epoxy coating for the metal parts.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three weeks into 4 to 6 week wait! Buying parts for the head replacement and engine install. So far: new head gaskets, new exhaust manifold bolts, turbo bolts, up pipe bolts, new turbo seals, new seals for the injectors, new seals for the oil cooler. Also bought new fuel lines from filter to each head, plus the hard lines from filter to flex lines on frame. Bought new flex lines also. New glow plugs and exhaust manifold gaskets. Additionally I've continued cleaning and media blasting parts.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More cleaning and painting.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a ballpark estimate on the value of 7.3 powerstroke long block? I don't want it sitting around the garage and figure someone may need it vs simply scraping it.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a ballpark estimate on the value of 7.3 powerstroke long block? I don't want it sitting around the garage and figure someone may need it vs simply scraping it.

I saw one listed locally for 500. If you were closer I’d take it off your hands for more than scrap just to start building one up before the one I’m getting decides to go bad. (It’s got 400k on it.)

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still no heads........ Since the valve covers needed stripped and repainted, bought some replacement decals.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the heads back! There's a reason customers are willing to wait for these guys. Awesome work! Miller's Machine Shop, Southeastern PA. Diesel engine builder of the year!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve job. They ended up replacing all of the valves, valve seals, new injector cups, + re-surfaced. Third generation family owned business, wonderful people to work with. Yesterday I painted the heads with POR 15 High Heat Epoxy.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The solenoids on top of those injectors are not unique to the 75hp increase. The upgrade is the hard parts down inside the injector. There are some specifications and a process to follow but you could put the solenoids from your plow truck on the 75hp injectors. The thing to check on however, are the upgrade injectors single shots? If so, you will need a chip to run them. If the old one didn't burn up it's probably fine to use it again as long as the computer's program codes match but otherwise you'll just have to get a chip if the injectors are single shots. If they're just larger nozzles and still split shots then the rusty truck's computer will run them fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online