Cooling issues!!!! Cannot chase this one down!!!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air lock is possible.... Should not be a huge bear.
Try searching , burp,,purge, and flushing/filling .
These can be done in one try( not my experiance) dont worry till it hits 135+ overtemp is ( iirc140 deg)
Good luck

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tech articles there is a tstat replacement I documented and show correct orientation of stat.

If your new stats are motocraft doubt thats the issue.

I dont know where you are but maybe look into a vacuum coolant fill tool. It draws a vacuum on the system then turn a valve and coolant fills from there.

Harbour freight may sell a cheap verson.

As for a new rad the Champion aluminum rads on ebay seem decent. Mine is good. There is even a four core now...saweet!!!

Good luck

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks. Got a new champion 4 row radiator coming. New motor craft tstat on the way. I ordered an aftermarket temp gauge a while back and was running it but the sending probe was really small 1/8... After all the adapters it took to fit block i don't think it was fully submerged in coolant. I made a new adapter for it so the probe is almost fully submerged in coolant (if its reaching top of the heads) so I would think its getting an accurate reading. When I pulled it out to fix the adapter it was bone dry plugged head maybe? I have noticed good sized chunks of permatex floating in radiator. Could
There be a blockage somewhere and if so what would be the best way to try and flush it out... I have read mention of block plugs I haven't removed those yet??

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I noticed that upon warming the truck up again... Gauge on top of motor was telling me I was up to 200 and bottom of block gauge was telling me that I was only 140... Top radiator hose was hard and hot and top of radiator was hot but both bottom hose and bottom of radiator were cold... After 20 minutes or so of running it it seems like the tstat opened up I noticed water movement anyhow and both top and bottom became hot... I am still not sure as to how trust worthy my guages are so gonna pick up two cheap ones for testing purposes put a motor craft tstat back in and take out block plugs to see if I can't get some trash out of it... I'm starting to believe I have a blocked port somewhere cuz I have seen some pencil eraser size chunks of gasket make float by.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind blonde moment on that question!!! Anyone have a link to 3 or the new 4 core champion radiator for our trucks can't seem to come across one on ebay

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search for champion cc1165. That's the three row

Champion sc1165 is the 4 row.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is pics in tech! Search it out that way you KNOW its right.
And ya learn something good.
Seems the stat is marked from ford for flow

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online