Coolant filter - you think you don't need one? Watch this !

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all the non believers ... :D

Last year I installed a coolant filtration system on my 7.3 and drove it for only 500km (then the registration season ended - the truck is only registered and insured from april till october - it's a summer driven truck ;Sweet ) - Now I decided to take a look at my filter and I dumped it out... Remeber - only 500km !

Watch this:
I thought this could be interesting for some people

Video description:
This is my coolant filter installation on my 1988 F350. What you can see is what I dumped out of the filter after running it for only 500km. (This is casting sand left over from the manufacturing process and some dirt/coolant drop out.) Before I installed the filter I flushed the complete system really good and pulled the plugs in the heads too. After that I filled it with 50/50 Fleetguard ES Compleat / destilled water. In these engines you must !!! use heavy duty diesel engine coolant with SCAs added or allready precharged (like ES Compleat). This is important because these engines are prone for cavitation.

http://youtu.be/capmrVqqUOI

After seeing it with my own eyes now I highly recommend that everybody should add a coolant filtration system ;Sweet

Greetings from the warm germany (today 10°C nice!)
Chris

Reaction score
OK, but to play Devil's Advocate, how many miles did the truck have BEFORE installing the filter, and were there any adverse effects as a result of having all this crud floating around in the cooling system?

Mike

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have also heard sca's can drop out and look like that.

Water pump will last longer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck had arround 80000 original miles on it before I installed the filter.
Coolant from the preowner looked good but wasn't charged wit SCA.
No, no problems so far with the cooling system but as 79jasper said - at least the water pump will last longer (and if drop out happens it won't plug things up as fast as without a filter I think)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, but to play Devil's Advocate, how many miles did the truck have BEFORE installing the filter, and were there any adverse effects as a result of having all this crud floating around in the cooling system?
Like 79jasper said, the water pump will last longer without that crus floating around...and, that crud now won't be there to clog up tubes in the radiator or the heater core, so they'll hopefully live longer lives as well as the water pump.

IMHO a coolant filter is pretty cheap insurance ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance