Coolant filter mounting bracket now available.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have made a coolant filter mounting bracket for myself and it is working out very nicely, another forum member asked if I could make two and they also came together nicely. If anyone else would like one I can make them for $85+shipping and send them to you. The $85 gets you the bracket kit and you will still need to purchase a filter and head on your own. This is mostly just something I am doing to help out the helpful people of this forum and a way for me to give back to a supportive and creative community.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what it looks all put together with the Napa filter head it is designed for.

I used Napa filter head kit #4019 (currently $93.99 on Napa website) and I use Napa filter #4070 $21.99) because I add SCA manually because I’m not done working on my cooling system. That gets you a fully setup with filter and mounting system for $200.98+shipping at current prices (Feb 2023).

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work!
I'm a newb and didn't know I should filter my coolant.
Give me the sales pitch on why I should have one and I'll probably be a buyer.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Nice work!
I'm a newb and didn't know I should filter my coolant.
Give me the sales pitch on why I should have one and I'll probably be a buyer.
There's two main reasons to have a coolant filter.
#1: to filter out leftover sand from the casting process. Not a big deal
#2: filters can have a 'pre charge' element in them, to help maintain the SCA content of the coolant, to prevent cavitation.

I'm going to install one, mostly because of reason #2

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. Thank you.
I have a 1987 6.9 n/a and I assume that any casting sand is long gone?
And, from what I've read here, only the 7.3 has reason to be concerned with SCA content and cavitation?

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. Thank you.
I have a 1987 6.9 n/a and I assume that any casting sand is long gone?
And, from what I've read here, only the 7.3 has reason to be concerned with SCA content and cavitation?
No you want one for the 6.9 as well for the SCAs as cavitation is less likely but it can happen. The main reason I installed mine is because mine sat for awhile and had some rust, now my coolant is an absolutely perfect green.

Another reason is for increased life of other system components, heater cores and thermostats can not be clogged by crud that does not exist and water pumps can eat a lot of things but it’s not always the healthiest for them.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is my coolant filter after the first month. Everything was flushed prior to the filter instal and this was cleaning what was left post flush.

sieg01

Reaction score
Good idea!

What about following options:
- to locate the filter holder @ a low point @ the vehicle. On this way, heavy stuff will find the lowest point in the filter and not in a radiator or pipe.
- before the filter head and after the filter head on each side a valve, so you can close the lines to avoid liquid loss when opening the filter.
- a filter casing made from glass or scratch-proof material, then you have a visual about what is going on inside and you see when to replace or clean the filter.

Regarding your engine:
When looking @ your cooling filter then I would say you have to clean and address the source of the problem. It doesn't look good and a filter may not be the solution.
I am just comparing it with my engine coolant/water and it looks good. - But I would still like to have a coolant filter system - just to be sure. But I can't find a glass or scratch-proof casing with small micron rating.

Reaction score
Looks good! I’m curious why you mounted the filter at an angle? Is it for easier access?, or for clearance? Can you make the mount so that the filter is straight up and down?

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! I’m curious why you mounted the filter at an angle? Is it for easier access?, or for clearance? Can you make the mount so that the filter is straight up and down?
yes it’s angled to clear the little plastic module on the fender and so I can slide a pan under it to catch the drips when I change the filter as I decided not to use valves to reduce potential leak points and connections.
Yes I can make one that is straight up and down if you would like I believe that can be done although I would like to do a mock up and test fit before declaring absolutely yes.

Is that something you would be interested in? Since I have a pattern for the mounts now and they are handmade I have some flexibility in what I do.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad design, I like having the filter tucked away so that I have room to work on the rest of the motor since I have a snail that sits on top already.

Attachments

• 8EF66AA7-8F3C-4245-B88E-CD6E8856E447.jpeg
    8EF66AA7-8F3C-4245-B88E-CD6E8856E447.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 39

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I would have done that lower option, but I don't have the serpentine belt setup... Yet.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The couple vehicles that I have added coolant filters both surprised me in how quickly they would be plugged up with sand for the first couple filters. Both had clean normal coolant to start with.....

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The couple vehicles that I have added coolant filters both surprised me in how quickly they would be plugged up with sand for the first couple filters. Both had clean normal coolant to start with.....
It’s amazing, I think all the diesels should have them.