Compounds - A due diligence quest

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
From what I can tell though, that new turbo is the achilles heel of the new 6.7.

Seem to be complaints on other boards of the new trucks eating turbos, especially in the higher boost. They're good for spooling up, but they don't like the higher end.

wmoguy

Reaction score
From what I can tell though, that new turbo is the achilles heel of the new 6.7.

Seem to be complaints on other boards of the new trucks eating turbos, especially in the higher boost. They're good for spooling up, but they don't like the higher end.

well there's a kick in the **** to guys who just dropped 60+ large on a new truck. :kick:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Wow. That is a crazy design! I guess I thought it was like the 6.4. But that is like a compound setup in one turbo. With the variable vanes and duel compressors there is no need for two turbos. You get it all in one package...;Sweet

It's an old (older than anyone on this board I'd wager) design that had problems... IIFRC thrust bearings were the problem in the old ones...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back from Vacation. Stay tuned on this project, it's off the ground. :sly

So, I'm really curious now. You said its off the ground. Does that mean you have the turbos and have started building now? What all have you done thus far? I'm really, really curious... :D

wmoguy

Reaction score
So, I'm really curious now. You said its off the ground. Does that mean you have the turbos and have started building now? What all have you done thus far? I'm really, really curious... :D

I have a covey of turbos with me now to make final decisions on, I have a pretty good idea which turbos I"ll be going with, but that remains a secret til later. I am probably going to return the Intercooler I have now and go for a different design of a water/air cooler. Some of the designs for the plumbing are completed as well as I have all the pipe. My only un-researched areas are oil and oil pressure. I'm not certain if I'll need a scavenger pump to supply enough oil to the turbos or not. These engines aren't exactly known for moving either volume or pressure (of oil)

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a covey of turbos with me now to make final decisions on, I have a pretty good idea which turbos I"ll be going with, but that remains a secret til later. I am probably going to return the Intercooler I have now and go for a different design of a water/air cooler. Some of the designs for the plumbing are completed as well as I have all the pipe. My only un-researched areas are oil and oil pressure. I'm not certain if I'll need a scavenger pump to supply enough oil to the turbos or not. These engines aren't exactly known for moving either volume or pressure (of oil)

That sounds good. I'm excited to see some progress photos. Are you going with a bigger air-to-water setup now? And as for oil supply, I would think you need an oil scavenge pump cus you will need more oil to supply two turbos. And even if it wasn't a total necessity, it definitely wouldn't hurt.

I've also always wondered, how do you like your water/methanol system on your truck? I haven't got to put mine on yet and was wondering how yours performs? How much difference does it make powerwise and does it make your boost come on quicker than without? Also, how much does it drop your egts? Sorry about all the questions. I was just curious. :angel:

wmoguy

Reaction score
@ 88 Ford: The Snow Stage 1 system is rated for engines building up to 25 psi. Mine wont be building more than that, and it comes with a single 625ml nozzle. I think thats more than enough liquid to be putting in this setup. As for how I like it, I still don't have it on my truck. I had planned on putting it on this weekend but contemplating just leaving it off until after I do the compounds, intercooler, etc.. so I don't have to redesign how I"m going to do this.
As for how the water **** works, it worked exceptionally well on my Cummins. I don't remember faster spool ups (however it pegged 80 psi as fast as your eye could follow the gauge when it had compounds) I did gain about 75 hp from it on a dyno, and EGTs dropped by a little better than 200 degrees.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool that it works so well. Are there any pipes you could tap going into the intake that you might replace?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Does anyone have a turbine flow map for our oem turbo? (to4b). Could you post it please?