Compounds - A due diligence quest

Black dawg

Reaction score
tiny exhaust housing, big wastegate, on first turbo. How small can you get for the factory turbo?

wmoguy

Reaction score
tiny exhaust housing, big wastegate, on first turbo. How small can you get for the factory turbo?

yep! Don't know on the factory turbo, but my eye is currently on an HY35, which was on the Automatic 24v 2nd gen cummins trucks. It has a tiny 9cm exhaust housing. Even in a stock format Cummins which is a lot smaller displacement, they provided very nice low end boost. As for Wastegate I'll probably use a BOV as I'm pretty sure the cheesy stock wastegate on the HY35 will be overpowered by this setup

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60 series compresion wheel?

i have a rebuilt factory turbo with the upgraded exhaust turbine housing, and works really good. i was wondering what is the 60 series wheel is all about? also isnt there a different compression housing from ats. i got the exhaust side done, and wondering what else can i do?

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a rebuilt factory turbo with the upgraded exhaust turbine housing, and works really good. i was wondering what is the 60 series wheel is all about? also isnt there a different compression housing from ats. i got the exhaust side done, and wondering what else can i do?

I believe typ4 does the 60-1 compressor upgrade. Machining is required to use the ats housing. I had a 60-1 on my truck before my new turbo. It had a t4 .96a/r housing and it worked really good. They flow quite a bit more than the h-3 trim wheel.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep! Don't know on the factory turbo, but my eye is currently on an HY35, which was on the Automatic 24v 2nd gen cummins trucks. It has a tiny 9cm exhaust housing. Even in a stock format Cummins which is a lot smaller displacement, they provided very nice low end boost. As for Wastegate I'll probably use a BOV as I'm pretty sure the cheesy stock wastegate on the HY35 will be overpowered by this setup

A Hy35 would spool extremely quickly on our trucks especially in conjunction with a big turbo for the top end. A good combination would be that turbo with a VGT like Justin said. You would have the small turbo and the VGT would act like a small turbo down low and would provide even more boost down low, then would open up for good top end power. It would be the best of both worlds and would be relatively cheap to do. There's a reason Ford did it on the 6.4 and 6.7...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe typ4 does the 60-1 compressor upgrade. Machining is required to use the ats housing. I had a 60-1 on my truck before my new turbo. It had a t4 .96a/r housing and it worked really good. They flow quite a bit more than the h-3 trim wheel.

What was the max boost that setup made on your truck?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how does this work? One turbo is on the exhaust and it blows into the ex side of another turbo force feeding the engine? Or are you talking about twin turbos?

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Hy35 would spool extremely quickly on our trucks especially in conjunction with a big turbo for the top end. A good combination would be that turbo with a VGT like Justin said. You would have the small turbo and the VGT would act like a small turbo down low and would provide even more boost down low, then would open up for good top end power. It would be the best of both worlds and would be relatively cheap to do. There's a reason Ford did it on the 6.4 and 6.7...[/QUOTE]

6.7 only has one turbo.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Hy35 would spool extremely quickly on our trucks especially in conjunction with a big turbo for the top end. A good combination would be that turbo with a VGT like Justin said. You would have the small turbo and the VGT would act like a small turbo down low and would provide even more boost down low, then would open up for good top end power. It would be the best of both worlds and would be relatively cheap to do. There's a reason Ford did it on the 6.4 and 6.7...[/QUOTE]

6.7 only has one turbo.

right it has dual compresors or somthing crazy like that

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
right it has dual compresors or somthing crazy like that

there is just one variable vane turbo on the 6.7L PSD. i think the big deal about it was the fact that the hot wheel and cold wheel are one sollid piece of material. It provides for faster spooling do to a lighter design. also a much more compact overall size of the turbo.

If this is not correct someone who knows please correct me.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
there is just one variable vane turbo on the 6.7L PSD. i think the big deal about it was the fact that the hot wheel and cold wheel are one sollid piece of material. It provides for faster spooling do to a lighter design. also a much more compact overall size of the turbo.

If this is not correct someone who knows please correct me.

If you look closely it has back to back cold side wheels:
You must be registered for see images attach

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look closely it has back to back cold side wheels:
You must be registered for see images attach

Wow. That is a crazy design! I guess I thought it was like the 6.4. But that is like a compound setup in one turbo. With the variable vanes and duel compressors there is no need for two turbos. You get it all in one package...;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online