Compounds - A due diligence quest

wmoguy

Reaction score
jeff-
i unfortunately got delayed from most errands this week thanks to an extended "lab rat" stay at the VA. but I did pull apart a rather interesting exhaust setup this weekend. take a look at the pics and let me know if it interests you. obviously, the shipping is going to be interesting.

Hey C

Sorry haven't been on here in a few days. Just sent you a PM prior to seeing this. For whatever reason I can't get these pics to enlarge to see them bigger than 1x1" :dunno

Looks like a stock Y Pipe next to some homebuilt (nicely built) Y Pipe? Let me know, give me a ring when you have a chance. I'm eager to get something together to finish this beast off.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Need some help folks. I am trying to figure out gallons per minute / hour / some period of time of oil I will be pushing to the turbo. I don't know how to figure out this math formula.

Assumptions:

35 psi oil pressure (oil port I'll use to feed turbo is the OEM one @ top of the motor)
12' of 1/4" ID hose feeding the turbo.

How do I figure out my flow amount of a period of time?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Bringing this one back from the dead here.

This weekend I"m going to get the oil to the turbo. I've made a change and I'm going to give the turbo it's own oil supply. I'm planning on using a 5 gallon air compressor tank (new) and weld in some bungs to fill and for the feed and return line. The air pig will be mounted inside my toolbox. I'll use 1 Turbowerx Pump to feed the turbo oil under pressure, and one another one to scavenge the oil back to the Air Pig (now an Oil Pig. LOL)

I've got the method to control oil pressure to the turbo. My questions I could use some help with are the following:

1. I'm thinking a 5 gallon reservoir is more than enough, right?

2. This method would give the turbo a constant pressure of oil to it, regardless of RPM in the turbo (or engine RPM) If I set my oil pressure @ say 40psi constant, will this be fine for the turbo, and not damage it??

Next question & topic:

I've been reading up on the evac method of getting rid of blowby (i.e. no more CDR) I get that it uses a Venturi effect to expell the gases via the exhaust. My actual post turbo exhaust pipe will only be about 20" long. If I weld in a bung for the blowby tube, will that short of a exhaust section be long enough to create a Venturi effect?

Big Thanks to Towcat for hooking me up with a Y Pipe to get this project completed. It should be here in anyday now.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Assumptions:

35 psi oil pressure (oil port I'll use to feed turbo is the OEM one @ top of the motor)
12' of 1/4" ID hose feeding the turbo.

How do I figure out my flow amount of a period of time?

Can you put a 35 psi regulated air pad on you oil pig and then time how long it takes to fill a 1 gallon bucket?

My guess is that you will get different flows depending on temperature, but the above should give you a rough idea.

Great job so far! Like to see some more pics!;Sweet

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing this one back from the dead here.

This weekend I"m going to get the oil to the turbo. I've made a change and I'm going to give the turbo it's own oil supply. I'm planning on using a 5 gallon air compressor tank (new) and weld in some bungs to fill and for the feed and return line. The air pig will be mounted inside my toolbox. I'll use 1 Turbowerx Pump to feed the turbo oil under pressure, and one another one to scavenge the oil back to the Air Pig (now an Oil Pig. LOL)

I've got the method to control oil pressure to the turbo. My questions I could use some help with are the following:

1. I'm thinking a 5 gallon reservoir is more than enough, right?

2. This method would give the turbo a constant pressure of oil to it, regardless of RPM in the turbo (or engine RPM) If I set my oil pressure @ say 40psi constant, will this be fine for the turbo, and not damage it??

Next question & topic:

I've been reading up on the evac method of getting rid of blowby (i.e. no more CDR) I get that it uses a Venturi effect to expell the gases via the exhaust. My actual post turbo exhaust pipe will only be about 20" long. If I weld in a bung for the blowby tube, will that short of a exhaust section be long enough to create a Venturi effect?

Big Thanks to Towcat for hooking me up with a Y Pipe to get this project completed. It should be here in anyday now.
:thumbsup:

IMO having the exhaust the far away from the valve cover you will lose your desired affect of the evac system. I don't think their is even enough pressure from the valve covers to even get the blow-by that far back to the exhaust, so you might go have to go in another direction.

Also, I like your idea for a self-contained oil system. I think that will help with turbo longetivity.

And how far are you on the piping? Is any piping built yet? Good work on your setup man. :thumbsup:

wmoguy

Reaction score
Can you ceramic coat a Y-pipe? Probably help with keeping the heat in.

I'm sure I could. I figure if I do anything there, I will paint it with high temp paint and use header wrap all the way back to the turbo.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a lil scared to run heat wrap. Especially under the truck further down the exhaust. With heat wrap on the exhasut dirt and moisture can be trapped in there.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Few minor updates. I picked up a air pig from Harbor Freight, on sale for $25.00 :thumbsup: which will serve as the turbo's oil reservoir. It's a 5 gallon container. Both Scavenge pumps are mounted in the toolbox now for their permanent location. The pump on the left will be the supply pump for the turbo, and the one on right will be the scavenge pump. Both are the exact same pump.

I've got the key on hot wire ran back to the toolbox now, and would've hooked up the power to these things but ran out of the right wire connectors. Oops.

Attachments

• 20120205_150625.jpg
    20120205_150625.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 2

wmoguy

Reaction score
different angle. I hadn't planned on it originally, but I think I'll go ahead and pop in an oil filter since I have the room and it ought to prolong oil changes considerably. Hole in the bottom corner is 2 1/4". got to find a grommet for that one. Note to self, when using the drill w/ the 2 1/4" hole saw on it, remember the torque of the drill. I Managed to not be paying attention enough and the torque of the drill kicked it around and kissed me nicely on the lower lip. Looks like I got into a bar fight now. LOL

Attachments

• 20120205_150636.jpg
    20120205_150636.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 5

wmoguy

Reaction score
Air Pig/Oil Pig sitting in the tool box. It fits pretty well! I'll drop it off at a buddies house tomorrow to get the bungs welded in that I'll need for supply and return. The port where the air pressure gauge is sitting now I"ll probably keep as a sight hole to see how full the vessel is of oil.

Thats about all I got for today. Now that the pumps are all there and mounted in place I can go get my new hoses made up. I was thinking 1/4" hose for the supply side, and 3/8" for the return line. Whatcha'all think?

Attachments

• 20120205_150811.jpg
    20120205_150811.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online