Coldstart Video Thread!! Post'em here!

mark7.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks i wish i still had them they got a whole lot better fuel mpg then my new chevy what would i do to have my 88 back lol

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[hijack]

Where did you get the door panels for the 86?

I'm trying to make/get new door panels for my truck and those are just what I'm looking for!

[/hijack]

They came with the cab, they're just the stockers covered in leather, to match the rest of the interior...
You must be registered for see images

Note the purple lights behind the windshield... LOL

That was all to match the exterior:

Yes, I tore apart a F100 Flareside to build an IDI... My big truck in my sig has it's cab lifted from an 82 F100 Flare also...

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post a vid of mine - I never plug it in and I think I've got 3 or 4 glow plugs that work... It's a cranky SOB to start lately :)

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it common for them to knock (loud clunking) a few when they first cold start before it sounds "normal"?

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it common for them to knock (loud clunking) a few when they first cold start before it sounds "normal"?

Yeah - that noise worries me too... :dunno I figure that I just cranked it for well over 20 seconds, I should have decent oil pressure at that point...

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is probably your engine not hitting on all cylinders due to a faulty glow plug, but it could be something more serious. If I fire mine at -5 it will run rough for a few seconds but it doesn't really knock. Someone else will chime in shortly that is smarter than I am.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Your truck sounds better at -10 then mine does at -4! :puke:
I need to test my glow plugs, now that winter is half over i figure its a good time to get on that.

You have a very healthy engine goofy, as slow as it was turning i cant beilieve it fired that fast

It never was that healthy, or slow at cranking. The starter sounds worse on camera than it does standing next to it. It cranks pretty good, reaching about 300 or so RPM on the tach when cranking. In my last videos, I will post them in a second, it sounded an old detroit trying to roll over at -40....but it wasn't even -5 or so I think...I can't remember.

Goofy, you look like a Canuck, is that discrimination?

Discrimination, eh? None taken! In fact I just came from a wedding...which explains me wearing my sun-dee best! lol

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
As promised....

-4*c or 25*F

-2*C or 28*F

The starter came off the 1992 that me and BigRig scrapped for my D60....I can't remember how fast it cranked the engine over in that truck, but it's getting the job done. My old starter's solenoid went bad...one terminal burned/broke off...but it seemed to whirl it a little quicker from what I can remember.

Old Mitisubishi Starter video

I might see if BigRig still has it, put a new solenoid on it and pop it on the truck again...keep this one as a spare.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I finally got around to it and made a cold start video for this year! ;Sweet

This is my first real cold start with the truck since the turbo went on...and now that I am back home it is a good time to get her fired up. I do feel bad for not having ran her since Thanksgiving...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLbfldRy2w

Just takes a few seconds for the oil pressure to come up with the 15w-40. LOL

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my cold start - truck has been sitting for well over 2 months. Average lows for the past week have been -10 - 0 and the temp was a whopping 5 degrees when I went outside.

Original starter and batteries when I got the truck, cables look like hell, the batteries look old and it's a Mitsu starter that stopped working until a buddy and myself took it apart and cleaned it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online