Cold idle advance question

faaiish

Reaction score
Just replaced my Injection pump. Now that I have it all together and running (better than ever). I see my cold idle advance isnt touching the linkage on the pump. It is put on just as I took it off and I have pulled pictures to make sure. Could I have set something wrong when i changed over the TPS?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe you can make corse adjustments by loosening the screws that’s hold the high idle solenoid. If you have made all the adjustments you can that way, the plunger is threaded and if you look, there’s a hex cast into the plunger. It’s quarter inch if I remember. You can thread it out till it just touches the throttle lever. It is fine thread, so it takes a lot of turning to move much. I use a gear wrench ratcheting wrench. Once it is touching, when you turn the ignition on, and push the throttle, it should hold the throttle open.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Snicklas is right. If it was touching before, then you probably just have to loosen the bolts and move it back towards the rear of the truck to make it touch.

faaiish

Reaction score
My bracket that holds it on doesnt allow for an adjustment of the braket to move the solenoid. I am off tomorrow and I will try and adjust the plumger but it appears to be about a 1/2 inch short so I am not sure how much adjustment I have.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to loosen the two bolts on the side of the bracket (that holds it to the pump). The holes are elongated to allow adjustment. They're all this way. It will allow 1/4 or more movement front to back. Once you push it forward and tighten the bolts back down, the unscrew the plunger. I think the plunger has another 1/4 of adjustability. If you loosen it too much it will fall out.

Or remove the bracket and elongate the holes with a rotary tool (dremel) or drill bit.

Last edited: