Clutches

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the fingernail wear test... If your nail snags on anything in the clutch disk area of the flywheel, resurface it. Same for any burn marks or glazing.

Not sure if the pressure plate will need any love or bolt right up...

Call this a lesson with these trucks... Cheap means repeat soon, especially with the fuel system

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your engine was originally non turbo....you need to order that one. Unless you have a factory turbo block 7.3 in there.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do a Clutch kit with flywheel for a 93-94 turbo truck unless your running the 93-94 turbo engine. Balancing is different.

I've run $300 LUK single mass clutch kits in both my trucks and never had an issue. I've thought they are silky smooth and hold a load just fine.

Is the pilot bearing making noise, making it hard to shift? or???

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yes, there is a constant chirping noise unless the clutch is pushed in and it feels like the clutch isn't engaging 100%, more like 90%, doesn't make the rings grind but you can sure feel the stiffness when shifting. I am fine with the LUK kit from napa as long as it lasts and I can order the Kevlar bushing, as long as it fits in the flywheel. I am not wanting to pull this transmission again, and thanks for the info about to 93-94' thats what I figured....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason for doing that is the balancing is different for the turbo and non-turbo engines. If your internals are non-turbo, generally stick with non-turbo parts. Clutches are a little bit of a gray area as the clutch itself is not typically balanced as part of the rotating assembly.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah..... Oh boy...... Haha..... Now I don't even know what to do with.... What clutch kit should I get? on RockAuto there is a luk kit for 306 and it says aftermarket turbo.... what does that mean? Will the flywheel be good to go or not?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hell its been so long.... lemme see if i can find the thread...
my engine is a early 94

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
couldnt find it, but i remember calling them and getting the right one....
i ordered through summitracing.com
if you want, call 1-800-230-3030
follow the promps
and dial employee by number
my cousin is x6385
he will get you the right one.

tell him his ******* cousin sent you :D

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used LUK kit #07225. Flywheel and everything. Listed for aftermarket turbo. Worked fine on my non-turbo engine with ATS turbo.

This is what I would install if I was you.

FastestIdIinthe707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my South Bend clutch through Black cloud diesel it is rated for 375 hp and a came with the flywheel and Kevlar bushing. I love it so I would recommend going through them because they have a few options for the 93-94 idi's

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I can't use anything for the 93 and 94's due to the balancing of the flywheel in relationship to the heavier crank/rods. I think what I'll do is order the kevlar bushing from south bend and the luk clutch kit for an after market turbo, I already have a flywheel. Now, should I put an actual pilot bearing in or leave it as a bushing?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't use anything for the 93 and 94's due to the balancing of the flywheel in relationship to the heavier crank/rods. I think what I'll do is order the kevlar bushing from south bend and the luk clutch kit for an after market turbo, I already have a flywheel. Now, should I put an actual pilot bearing in or leave it as a bushing?

ive been told that the bearing never survives, but a kevlar bushing will....
this is why i kept the kevlar bushing.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And a noise all the time is not the pilot, it makes noise when the clutch is pushed in and the input shaft stops. You need to calm down a bit and start over. I bet your throwout bearing is more the problem.
If you have a turbo crank and rods, use a turbo clutch kit, If you dont then use the NA or aftermarket turbo kit. the pressure plates are the same so the holding power is not an issue. Take it apart and see whats wrong before spending a bunch of money ,KISS. if you dont know what that means, look it up.

Incidentally, I have a bearing in my 4x4 with 100k on it and its fine, I pack with synthetic grease before trans goes in. Never had one go bad, ever.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mic the OD, I'd and lingth go to a bearing supply company and have them Mach it. Or take it to a machine shop. And have them make a bushing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726