Cleaning chrome

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Anyone have any good methods of cleaning chrome stacks?
Have some baked on bugs and stuff.
I've read 0000 steel wool and dawn soap.

Mine get pretty warm, so I don't want something that's gonna mess them up.

Also is there anything to use that'll make it easier to clean next time?
Like a wax or something.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i found that WD-40 cleaned/s my polished stainless tip quite nicely and then some rubbing compound really brought out the shine. Not sure if the polished vs chrome makes a difference.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I ended up using the 0000 steel wool, which may have been too course, but took the soot right off.
Then eagle one never dull, which worked great.

Next I wanna try blue magic, as I've heard it's better than meguirs, etc.

I tried the steel wool and never dull on my aluminum diamond plate running boards. It took the discolored areas off, and shined a few spots that I hit hard, but it's not a great way off doing it.
I was told steel wool and cutting oil is best, but the cutting oil was pretty expensive(so I didn't buy it yet). But I might try it.
Also heard alumabright is great, but nowhere local has it, and it's pretty pricey also.
Thinking of maybe painting them.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say this about Alumabrite, it works fine on stuff that is durable and can take a little harsh treatment. It can discolor engine paint, and other paints used in the auto industry, it will degrease and cleans, but it is CAUSTIC, and it WILL cause SEVERE chemical burns if proper safety precautions aren't taken. It can and WILL also discolor aluminum. It makes the aluminum 'bright', but it's nowhere near a 'polished' finish that is so popular these days.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've just been using the never dull. Works good.
Old timers at the hardware store told me to use "cutting oil." Was about $2X.00 for a quart. Haven't tried it yet though.

Tried cleaning up my running boards, but basically I knocked off the rest of the coating. Gonna end up using Bedliner on them.

Thanks for the heads up. I saw the alumabrite is used a lot for stock trailers. I see how something stronger would be needed. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, sort of.
I didn't know it was so caustic. I'm sure animal ***** takes a toll on shiny aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Jasper I used-to work at a truck salvage company that used that stuff to cleans it's trucks and engines/trans/parts off. If you used it on the truck's paint, it took ALL the shine off. The stuff it some bad stuff, I got some 'mist' that was cast off on a part I was spraying down, it took me five minutes to get it washed off, and in that time, it burned ulcers into my skin, literally, open ulcers on my arm that took almost a week to fully heal and there were like 200 spots.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally, some of THE BEST degreaser that can be bought is 'Super Big Red' by some refinery products company in Texas. That stuff is WICKED good as a degreaser, but it can and will also damage the paint of trucks if you use it, but the damage is more like using STRONG dish soap on your paint instead-of 'car wash soap'. It will also mess with your skin, but in the 'it will exfoliate and take all the oils from your skin' sorta way. Good stuf though, designed to get oil rigs SQUEAKY CLEAN.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White vinegar
Or one i came upon when my bud caught a plastic Bag on his bikes header seeing how he had nothing to lose!
Let cool clean as best ya can, polish it up with chrome polish then lay some on and "warm" the pipe at idle, then polish it off!
Fwiw