Chasing Down Fuel Leaks

Neal Evans

Reaction score
So, thanks to help from this forum, I have addressed most of the fuel leaks in 'the Bear'. Current status: 1) no leaks in the valley from IP, 2) no leaks around Injectors, Glowplugs, or Injector return line caps.

But, after running it a while, I found one other little leak: around the fuel filter. I have already installed a brand new fuel filter. Cleaning it up and watching carefully, it seems the leak starts on top around what I think is the heating element (?). I can't tell from the manuals. See this picture:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0kMOg-ghI6hFTF_NffOf-Jk3w#Birmingham

Anyone have any suggestions on fixing a leak around this component, whatever it is?

I can't even figure out how to pop it off. I started to pry with a screwdriver, but lost my nerve when it didn't seem to yield. (This may have made it worse.)

As always, thank you for your help.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, extremely common. You can either replace the o rings inside or tap and plug it.

I believe it's removed from inside so you'll need to remove the filter and get it out from the bottom.

I've never done it myself, if you search fuel heater plug or fuel heater delete I'm betting you'll find your answer though. I think someone did a writeup a couple years ago.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does remove from inside. O ring replacement should fix your leak.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what you’re prying against.
You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the o-ring in mine. There is a video on how to do it on youtube. It's a little bit involved. But after I did that after about a year it started leaking again. I saw where someone on here just took and cleaned it up really good on the outside, and slathered jb weld all over it to stop it. That has been working good for the last 3 years so far. It will make it hard to start (air intrusion) if it's leaking.

My latest fuel leak is my fuel pump. I have the factory one on there, looks original with 148,000. It is actually leaking around the seam where it's crimped together. I am getting ready to install a facet cube pump on it.

P.S. If you use the jb weld, you can't plug the heater back in, but it doesn't seem to do anything anyway.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most seem to think the heater unnecessary, as far as I can tell. I keep the Bear in the garage--as well as living in Southern climes--so I think I should be OK without it.

I live in NY and mine has never been hooked up. Zero starting issues. Nothing to worry about.

I'm under the impression it's for helping to un-gel fuel in the filter because it would have to heat up fast to be good for anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin