Chargeing Issues Still Here

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I still can't get the charging issues fixed. I see the dash gauge around 8 volts and the battery lite is on. When I run the motor and place a screw driver behind the running alternater its got a good magnetic field at the rear bearing. I was once told this means the alternater is putting out.... I have good continuity from the top of the alternater orange wire to the voltage regulater but still no charge. Bothe batteries show 12.57 volts when the motor is running or not. The alternater is new and just installed about a month ago. I use a mom & pop rebuilder that has never let me down but this may be a first. Any thoughts.....:dunno

RockinB

Reaction score
what voltage do you have right at the alternator? does it change if you disconnect the leads to the regulator? what are the voltages at the regulator/ incoming and outgoing?

tractorman86

Reaction score
i had the same problem a couple months ago. do you have a known good regulator? if so plug it in and see what happens that's what happened to mine

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I finally took the reg and alt to the shop. Turns out a "connection" internally broke and it will take about an hour to fix.....:thumbsup: That sure helps me out because I'm terrible about electrical issues. The intermitent shorts are my worst type to find. So I'll still keep you all upgraded on things as they play out here......

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Damn everyone beat me too it!!!!

same thing happened to me. got a juiced up alternator from a rebuild shop. he told me to replace the small wire that runs to the starter relay with a 6ga one. so i did. turns out he wanted me to add that wire in addition to the smaller one. as soon as i took the small one out the regulator fried and i wasnt getting any charge to the batteries.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I have a charge now.....;Sweet Turns out the two wires connection on top of the alternater had an open ciucut in it. I checked the connections from the outside as best I could but it was inside where you can't see unless the unit is disassembled. So I'm driving again and no longer need to test the batteries for driving distance with the lites on at nite....:D Otherwise as Towcat told me.... A person could drive a long damn ways before the batteries drained if.... Everything was turned of. Then only the injection pump gets the very small amount of power to keep the shutdown solenoid open....

tractorman86

Reaction score
cool, glad you found it!! i drove on a dead charging for a week and a half once and half of the time i was diving at night with lights on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726