changing the block... again

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Well gentlemen I'm about to change the block in my truck. Again! Same as avitar. The PO of my truck had the moter rebuilt and had the crank to cam timing 180 out and of course the engine fried. Instead of fixing it I rebuilt a 6.9 I found in an 85 e 350 and put in place of the 7.3 that was in it and pretty sure I messed it up somehow as well.
You must be registered for see images attach
willing to bet that this thermocoupler had something to do with it now that I'm tearing it apart. Literally just fell apart while taking it out. More pics of interns to come. A generous member hooked me up with a running 7.3 to drop in it's place again and will try to keep pics and progress so if anyone sees me doing something wrong please chime in. This far I have dropped the transmission and the exhaust and pulling turbo prepping for the removal of the wiring and fuel system and drained the block and disconnecting accessories. Going to take this time to try and dust out the engine bay once block is removed

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lookin good James. Was that thermocoupler in the exhaust? If so I’d check the turbo wheel on the hot side. Glad to see that engine go to a good home ;Sweet

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Yes it was. Never read above 600 and that was uphill loaded slamming on it 4th gear 2400rpm floored on 11 lbs boost. Now I think I know why... I'll be removing the turbo after work tomorow and looking at that. Just rebuilt it about a week before it went down so I hope it's still alright.
although I have found one of those "famouse fixes" u we're referring to on your thread. Lol. I never would thought of that. Do you use rtv on your injector threads? Or anything? I'm still not ruling out my previous build having some mistakes on my part and still wondering.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha Goodyear to the rescue! This engine was never in one of my trucks, I picked it up from a part out here a few weeks ago, so can’t take credit for that one. I don’t use anything on the injector threads, they are flare fittings so the threads shouldn’t do any sealing

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Well then... So I'm fighting my injectors out the 6.9 due to ignorance durring previous build... :frustrate. As soon as those come out of the diesel bucket tomorrow I'll be cleaning me some threads. Pretty sure PO of the 7.3 was either in a bind or having some sourcing issues. Lol. Not too shabby though. Don't see any evidence of leaking from the "custome" fitting. I think I'll be cleaning up the 7.3 and maybe some paint and some minor things to it but I believe it seems sound enough to drop in as is. Was curious as to weather I would have to pull heads due to stuck glow plugs(had this issue before wit PO and Auto lites on 6.9) but this block was owned by a real gentleman/lady because I pulled all 8 with ease and all beru. Pleased me that I don't have to mess with it yet:music:

6T9burner

Reaction score
@frankenwrench Seems like you are rebuilding a lot. Wanna add mine to the queue when you get done? lol Good to have good people around @Thewespaul. I miss being in Texas, but enjoy the AZ weather way to much to go back.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Lol. Bring it down on a day off wit parts and some cold ones. Two sets of hands and eyes are better than just one

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
finished pulling turbo yesterday and came to the realization that I didn't have clearance to just pull the block straight up due to some height issues
so decided to start getting core support out the way and realized my cables are in POOR shape

As are my body mounts. Rock hard and cracking. And might I say... What an oily mess!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever you get into work like this it’s always “well I’m in here already might as well...”

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth... By the way... Looky what I found.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the worst core support I’ve seen but not good to see, is it all the way through on the back?