changing the block... again

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Look there! And I'll give u 8 guesses as to which valve that is....but valve itself don't look that bad... Lappable?

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is one clogged up port. Looks like the driver never put there foot in the throttle either. These engines will clog up like that if they aren’t run hard every once in a while. And bad valve stem seals make it worse.
You should have seen my engine when I first tore into it. The PO drove it like an old grandpa and all the valves had huge gobs of carbon buildup on them.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
This is after I removed a few chunks.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
That is one clogged up port. Looks like the driver never put there foot in the throttle either. These engines will clog up like that if they aren’t run hard every once in a while. And bad valve stem seals make it worse.
You should have seen my engine when I first tore into it. The PO drove it like an old grandpa and all the valves had huge gobs of carbon buildup on them.
U mean like this?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
It's hard to tell. Your pictures are kind of fuzzy. I say that unless you can see something obviously wrong with it, then clean it and lap it.
Yeah my phone is quite crappy all the way around. It has some light pitting but no cracking. And most important no white buildup! Happy about that. No coolant burning in there

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about light pitting. The valves in the 302 in my 81 F150 were pitted badly enough that I should have had them ground, but I lapped the crap out of them and they work fine. These were in a pair of heads that were "ready to bolt on and use" too. I got tired of trying to lap them by hand real quickly so I grabbed the end of the stems with my 1/2" drill and used that to spin them against the seats while holding pressure on the valve heads with my finger. It probably wasn't the best idea, but I still did it.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I've hit the block pretty well with a wire wheel on an angle grinder to remove dirt and oil and light rust cause I do plan on throwing some high heat paint on it to prevent it from rusting and make oil leaks easily visible. But as it is all basically a hunk of porous cast iron how would one pull all the oil from the surface of this block?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steam cleaning is the right answer, but a brush with some rubbing alcohol and some cheap microfiber towels should get it prettt clean

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without buying a machine I’m not real sure, haven’t seen anyone make a diy setup for that

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
So alchohol it is! Just hope I don't get the two bottles mixed up between the rubbing kind and the drinking kind
Painting is a good idea for these old blocks right? Not gonna cause issues is it?