changing the block... again

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
You will need 910s if you are:

Cammed
4000+ rpms
25+ psi of boost
So would this still be a good idea and added security for my application? Or in my case an un needed expense. I see 12 psi as of now but I do have to tow quite a bit. Unsure if i want the cam. Not sure if it will fit my application. Also I don't know enough about the cam to know if it would help me in what I need. Lol.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need, the stock spring will be just fine for you, as less seat pressure on your valves will actually make the seats last longer.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
So apparently when I put in the new tank and sending unit I fixed a long had issue I've been meaning to find and did so by accident. Always had to run the pump a bit and hit the Schrader due to some form of air intrusion. Run it all day and park it and next morning fuel filter will be half empty. After replacing sending unit and tank I have started it with ease and this morning even forgot to flick the switch to turn the pump on and it still fired right off with ease. So before going to work I inspected the sending unit and I didn't have the red/pink little rubber thing on the end of the return on the sending unit. Odd really. Anyone else ever have an issue like this with the little rubber thing being the culprit?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Now in y'all's opinion, being that not only is my truck my DD but also I haul some stupid amounts of weight sometimes, would upgrading my cam help or hurt my purposes? I run 75 mph tops on this truck empty. 65 mpg tops with any load to include empty trailer and sometimes depends on what the truck can do under weight and hill conditions. Alota hills and some grades.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From my one and only (short) experience, a cam really wakes up a N/A engine. Not like a turbo will, but it does help when staying N/A.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
"Wakes up an engine" as in throttle response? Increase in low end torque? Or all in high rpm horsepower? I need my truck to continue to drag my 2700 lb trailer with heaviest thing on it being a large Massey Ferguson with front end loader and box blade. Last time I was curious at a cat scale total weight was 29k truck trailer and load. Pretty sure I legally need a license other than my class c.....

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only that, you'd be in deep kimchi if you're involved in an accident and the insurance company finds out you're WAY over the GCWR for your truck + trailer... and the bigger the claim, the closer they look.

Our trucks can get overloads moving, but can they keep them stable on the highway - and stop them quick enough when needed? :dunno

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Our trucks can get overloads moving, but can they keep them stable on the highway - and stop them quick enough when needed? :dunno
I have some brake mods to it, but in all reality still doesn't stop as quickly as I would like for it to with the load still have to downshift to assist in quick stopping. As far as stability, never had much problem other than having to downshift to keep a solid 45 mph up a hill. I think the limit is 26 k but am not sure. Still need the truck to do it either way, weather the cam hurts or helps. But knowing that much will determine weather the cam and springs are something I need to be interested in or not.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some brake mods to it, but in all reality still doesn't stop as quickly as I would like for it to with the load still have to downshift to assist in quick stopping. As far as stability, never had much problem other than having to downshift to keep a solid 45 mph up a hill. I think the limit is 26 k but am not sure. Still need the truck to do it either way, weather the cam hurts or helps. But knowing that much will determine weather the cam and springs are something I need to be interested in or not.
That's an awesome amount of weight for an N/A IDI! Maybe the brakes on your trailer are what need attention. It should be doing most of the braking, letting the pickup stop "itself".

I don't have a cam or even ridden in a rig with one but theres a lot of info on them, especially on FTE. Russ and Justin both have dyno sheets posted and the Typ4 cam comes on a few hundred rpms sooner but the stage 1 pulls a little harder. Of course that's not on the same exact engine or anything but the power curves are very comparable.
From so many people having them(and loving them)I'd say a cam is totally worth it, if you have the means and time to install it. It's quite the job!
I still want one but don't have that kind of time to fix an engine that isnt broken.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the limit's 26K before a CDL is required.

But I think the legal limit for our trucks is 17K (auto) and a ridiculously low 14K (manual) for the same truck, probably because Ford didn't want to replace clutches under warranty for people who don't know how to use them.

Anyway, if you're pulling that kind of weight, a cam that emphasizes bottom end torque would be more important than all-out horsepower. And a turbo ;)

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Yeah as I understand 26,001# is where a CDL kicks into play. And I still have mine.

Thru '90's & early 2000's when I used to be in the trailer business (utility/equipment trailers) I used to pull double stack of trailers from Tx & Ok 2K mi to Oregon with my '90 CC Dually ZF5 with my ATS 088 turbo. Grossing 30K-36K. I'd go Oregon DMV & buy a temp GVW for 36K, head south, load up & head north. Lot of 4th gear, some 5th, some 1st, 2nd, 3rd on hills.

Main thing I learned was these IDI's are tough!! I have no idea how many trips I made with Bessy.
I look back on those days & wonder how I made it without break-downs, wrecks, or legal troubles.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Anyway, if you're pulling that kind of weight, a cam that emphasizes bottom end torque would be more important than all-out horsepower. And a turbo ;)
I already have a 093 turbo installed but as far as the rnd cam i don't know what it emphasizes and there lies the question at hand

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The Typ4 cam is supposed to be for more torque, while the R&D cam is more for higher end horsepower. I didn't get to run the cam for very long and only drove the truck empty, but it seemed to have a lot more power everywhere. It was N/A so it probably wouldn't have seemed like so much of an increase if it already had a turbo on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online